June 19, 2009

BOOK SELECTIONS for the Take a Chance Challenge

These are the books that I am reading for each of the challenges. To see the full description of each of the challenges and to see the challenge rules, click here.




  1. Random Book Selection. I went to the library with a set of directions I had written down. Here were my directions: Fiction Section, third row, first section, fourth shelf, sixth book. I landed on Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. How cool, I had this on my TBR list anyway! I didn't think I would get to it this year, but looks like there's been a change of plans. Here is my review (August 2009).
  2. Random Word. I went to this random word generator and my word was BARRIER. The book I chose was The Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke Barriers by Harry Bernstein. I remember someone writing a review about this on their blog not too long ago and they liked it, so I thought I would give it a shot too! (Thanks Lisa! haha)
  3. Birth Year Book. If Life is a Bowl of Cherries…What Am I Doing in the Pits? By Erma Bombeck is my final choice I think. There were many good ones to choose from, though.
  4. Judge A Book By Its Cover. Beautiful cover art: Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro (Oct/Nov 2009).
  5. Phoning An Author. I got the name FERNANDEZ. I plugged Fernandez into Amazon's search engine and there were plenty of books to choose from. I finally decided on Heroin by Humberto Fernandez.
  6. Public Spying. I saw a woman in the spa reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford.
  7. Random Bestseller. I went to Random.org and got the random number of 1957. Then I went to this site and looked up the bestsellers from that year. Here are the ones I am considering reading: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, The American Heritage Book of Great Historic Places, To Live Again by Catherine Marshall, Leftover Life to Kill by Caitlin Thomas, By Love Possessed by James Gould Cozzens, The World of Suzie Wong by Richard Maso. I am leaning towards Atlas Shrugged because I found it on audio at my library. :) I also loved The Fountainhead.
  8. Lit Riff. Let it Be by The Beatles (July 2009)
  9. Poetic Review. Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch (June 2009)
  10. Movie/Book Comparison. The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver (July 2009)


10 comments:

  1. Hey we are the same age! Im a 79 baby too :)

    What a novel way of choosing books to read. I liked your picks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a '79 baby! I think I'm going to read one of the newberry award winner/nominees for 1980 for that one, since they were both published in '79 and sound interesting. I might chose Sophie's Choice, though.

    I didn't pick my selections in advance. I'm going to choose them as I go. I've picked out some - my library shelf one, by the cover, my random word ("dust") - but others I'm waiting until I'm ready to do that task. I'm having the hardest time finding someone in public who's reading! Of course, I don't get out much, and when I do, it's usually to the library. You'd think it'd be no problem then, but everyone is checking out books, not reading them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the challenge! I just picked out my books a couple days ago, though I decided to only do 5 of the 10 challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post made me feel old - I got married in 1979. Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woooohhh I love Ayn Rand. Even though that is a mountain, the book is amazing! Love your challenge entry. I really need to get cracking on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've already picked out all your books for the challenge! Wow. I've only picked out four so far, but I started reading the book for the second challenge last night.

    You are so lucky that you got one of the books on your TBR pile already. I've gotten completely random books so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caspette- Sweet! Thanks. Jenners is so creative, isn't she?

    Amanda- Very cool, another '79 baby! I wonder how many books out there have 'dust' in the title. I thought there'd be more for my word- barriers- than there were. There were a lot of self-help books. Yeah, I read more in bookstores than in libraries. Maybe you should check there?

    Ashley- Cool! I look forward to reading about the books you read.

    Bermudaonion- Well, don't feel too old. You don't look old enough to have been married in 79. And isn't that what counts? :)

    P&P- It is a tome, isn't it? I'm going to have to see if I have time for that big a book- even on audio!

    Heidenkind- I was really lucky with that one. I'm never lucky so that was a nice surprise for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen such a unique way of choosing the next read! (random number generators etc). I agonise over my selections and am not sure I could cope with such serendiptious techniques! Fascinating to see how readers vary so much in their approach

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so enjoying hearing how people are finding their books for this challenge and the diversity of the books you will be reading! You got some good ones -- I think your random book selection was really lucky! And I think the universe was sending you some good wishes ... you have lots of cool choices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a creative way to pick books! Hey I just wanted to mention that you have the title wrong for your "barriers" book- It's the Invisible WALL not the Invisible Child, LOL. I just read it for my book club a couple months ago. It's good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!