June 6, 2009

The 48 Hour Book Challenge- #3

So it's been kind of an off day for me- first I start later than I planned, then I stop and watch a movie from Netflix with my mom because it's been a while since we've done that, and then later I decide to randomly cry about missing my father. Jeez.

But I am okay now and I have been reading Ellen DeGeneres's book of comic essays called The Funny Thing Is...

I have to say it is pretty hilarious. One of the chapters goes into 'Why Prison Wouldn't Be So Bad' where she dreams of never being early or late to appointments and not having to worry about what to wear. There is also the chapter on her 'regular Sunday brunches' with Paula Abdul, Diane Sawyer, Gloria Steinem, and Eminem, who brings his gazpacho every week. It's his special recipe, you know. Then if that's not enough, there's always the situation of accidentally flipping off John Travolta.

So, Ellen came up with eleven different names for prison- "the slammer- the joint- the big house- the clink- the cement Hilton- the lockup- the cooler- the jewelry box- the crate and barrel- the corked jug- the honey pot". I also came up with the pen, the cage, the final mile, con college, the can, and up the river.

Can you think of any more slang names for prison? I find this oddly fascinating at 4:30 in the morning.

8 comments:

  1. What are you doing up at four thirty in the morning? Are you just getting up? or do you have trouble getting to sleep? Is it part of the 48 Hour Book Challenge? It wasn't clear to me if participants were supposed to try to stay up the whole time reading, or simply read as much as they could in a two day period. I've always been a night-bird, the last few nights I saw the sun just starting to get up when I fell asleep.

    I admire you for all the challenges you set for your-self and attempt. Good Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about "Da Joint?" LOL

    Ellen is hilarious. While having a cavity filled last week, they had her show on at my dentist office in the room where I was having my cavity filled. Me, the dentist and the assistant were all cracking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you took the time to do some significant things outside of reading. They are important.

    It seems that you found the perfect book at the perfect time with the humorous DeGeneres book! I love books that make me laugh out loud.

    Don't forget to sleep a little too during this marathon event. I am cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. here in Arizona they say "hoosegow" for prison!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Ellen's humor! Happy reading today. I'm about to start Book #2 of the challenge - A James Patterson! I'm excited. I'll let you know how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of the Ellen Degeneres book. I will have to look this up. I used to love watching the show.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!