May 13, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by Bermudaonion's Weblog.

This week I found a couple of words, all from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver:

1.sesquiterpene lactones- a class of chemical found in many plants that can cause allergic reactions and toxicity if overdosed, particularly in grazing livestock. In moderate amounts, the chemical can work with vernolic acid and other compounds in plants to reduce inflammation and improve the cellular structure of smooth muscle of blood vessels, which can help prevent and cure atherosclerosis.

2.remuneration- reward; payment

3. alimentary- concerned with the function of nutrition; pertaining to food; providing sustenance or maintanence

I finished this book last night, too, so look for the review coming up this week!

5 comments:

  1. I read that book too and most have totally skipped over sesquiterpene lactones. I would never remember that word or it's meaning! Thanks for participating today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear your review. I love Kingsolver's books but have not read this one.
    Have a Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that one took me off guard!

    This one is a little different than the only other Kingsolver I have read (The Poisonwood Bible) because it is nonfiction, for one, but the wonderful writing style is still there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kingsolver is on my A list, too, although I haven't read that one. Loved Poisonwood, Pigs in Heaven, others. I'll look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew. sesquiterpene lactones? :-) okay!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!