May 17, 2009

TSS: Summer Reading List



I've been blogging and reading books for challenges since January, but aside from the challenges and the ARC's, I have not made a list for any particular month or season though I have seen them around other blogs. I decided that since my reading can be particularly spastic, I decided to make a list for summer of books I definitely want to finish by the end of August.


Now, I'm not a masochist- I will leave room for spontaneous picks! I figure I will read roughly 10 books a month, so that's a total of 30 for the season if I start June 1st. I have made a list of 22 books for my summer reading list, leaving room for at least eight spontaneous selections. Here is the reading list I have compiled, where I will keep track of the books as I read them. You can read about the challenges by clicking on the links in the sidebar.

Are you planning to read anything specific this summer?


P.S. If you want to complete a Summer Reading Challenge, head on over to Molly's blog, My Cozy Book Nook! I wanted to sign up but cannot fathom how I could keep up with another challenge.


My Summer Reading List

1. Simple Taoism by C. Alexander Simpkins and Annellen Simpkins (to complete the Spiritually Speaking Challenge)
2. A Lucky Child: Surviving Auschwitz as a Young Boy by Thomas Buergenthal (ARC)
3. Life is Like a Line: A Memoir of Moods, Medication, and Mania by Cynthia M. Sabotka (ARC)
4. The Lie by Fredrica Wagman (ARC, TBR Lite Challenge, New Authors)
5. The Attraction Distraction by Sonia M. Miller (ARC)
6. A Disobedient Girl by Ru Freeman (ARC, Blog Tour)
7. The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Colorful Reading Challenge)
8. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Genre Challenge, What's in a Name Challenge)
9. A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah (21 Cultures Challenge)
10. A Worthy Legacy by Tomi Akinyanmi (ARC)
11. The Lives of the Muses: Nine Women and the Artists They Inspired by Francine Prose (999 Challenge, New Authors Challenge)


12. Thousand Pieces of Gold by Ruthanne Lum McCunn (Colorful Challenge)
13. The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride Series, Book 1) by James Patterson
14. Fibromyalgia Relief Book by Miryam Ehrlich Williamson (999 Challenge, New Authors Challenge, almost finished testing out ideas)
15. Fibromyalgia for Dummies (Triple 999 Challenge, plus I have been meaning to finish it for forever)
16. The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant (9 in 2009 Challenge, Triple 999)
17. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (Genre Challenge)
18. The Rainmaker by John Grisham (Triple 999, Genre Challenge)
19. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (Genre Challenge, Triple 999)
20. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway (Classics Challenge)
21. Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD by Terry Matlen (need to finish)
22. Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau (Classics Challenge, and to complete the Centuries Challenge)

23. Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch (Take a Chance, New Authors)
24. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (Banned Books, Colorful Challenge)
25. Cafe Tempest: Adventures on a Small Greek Island by Barbara Bonfigli (ARC, Blog Tour, New Authors Challenge)
26. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (21 Cultures, New Authors Challenge)
27. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (Take a Chance Challenge)
28. Fire of Love by James McCaffrey (9 in 2009 Challenge)
29. The Funny Thing Is...by Ellen DeGeneres (New Authors Challenge)
30. A Passage to India by E.M. Forster (several challenges, also an interest in India)

7 comments:

  1. That's quite a varied list! I've read a few of them. I read Wuthering Heights for the first time this year, and although it was beautifully written and worth reading, I can't say I loved it. I'll be interested in your take!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My tastes are all over the place and I read too many blogs to commit to specific titles. This will be my third year participating in my public library's summer reading challenge. Every mini review you submit earns you a chance to win a $100 gift card. Besides the fact that I have very little discretionary cash, I run a community library with zero budget so to say I'm motivated is an understatement.

    This summer will likely mean lots of YA because I serve mostly young girls and teens, but I'm beginning to feel a real need for literary works. We'll see.

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great list. I really should do this as I have so many books I want to read by the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it fun to make reading lists? I almost never get to follow mine but I make them anyway, lol. So glad you are reading Tale of Genji along with us. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your list!! I might just have to make one too!!!! I love lists!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is quite a list you have there. I loved Matrimony. You can see my review on my blog. Good luck with your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments! Yes, lists are something I have always loved making, and reading lists are one of my favorites! :D Michelle, so far I like Matrimony, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!