May 31, 2009

TSS: May Round-Up!

I had a good month in May. I read 13 books, finished 12, and have started 2 more. Here is a look at my reviews for the month:

1. Call Me Sonya Grey: A Young Girl’s Poems about Death, Life, and Adolescence by Sonya Tupone Lloyd

2. The Scalpel and the Silver Bear by Lori Arviso Alvord, M.D. and Elizabeth Cohen Van Pelt

3. Finding Happiness: Monastic Steps for a Fulfilling Life by Abbot Christopher Jamison

4. Shattered Reality by Kimberly Cheryl

5. Octopussy, Dry Kidney, & Blue Spots: Dirty Themes from 18-19c Japanese Poetry edited by Robin Gill (DNF)

6. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

7. I’m Fine with God…It’s Christians I Can’t Stand by Bruce Bickel and Stan Jantz

8. In the Heart of the World: Thoughts, Stories, and Prayers by Mother Teresa

9. Coffee with the Buddha by Joan Oliver Duncan

10. Good Books Lately: The One-Stop Resource for Book Groups and Other Greedy Readers by Ellen Moore and Kira Stevens

11. Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs

12. Beloved by Toni Morrison

13. Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch (a little premature: I have 2 chapters to go, but will finish them today)


That puts my total number of books read in 2009 at 45. So I am right on track to read 100 books this year! Yay me! I am excited anyway because 45 is more books than I have read in a year. I usually hover somewhere around 30 for the year.

The two books I have already started, but have not finished yet, are Matrimony by Joshua Henkin and A Lucky Child by Thomas Buergenthal, both ARCs.


As you may know, I have devised a Summer Reading List that I want to get through between June 1st and August 31st. You can find the whole list here. These are the books from the list I want to start with for June:


1. Simple Taoism by C. Alexander Simpkins and Annellen Simpkins (to complete the Spiritually Speaking Challenge)

2. A Lucky Child: Surviving Auschwitz as a Young Boy by Thomas Buergenthal (which I mentioned above)

3.The Tale of Genji by Lady Murasaki

4. Matrimony by Joshua Henkin (which I also mentioned above)

5. A Worthy Legacy by Tomi Akinyanmi (ARC)

6. Fibromyalgia for Dummies

7. The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride Series, Book 1) by James Patterson


What book(s) are you reading now? Are there any you want to make sure you read next?

6 comments:

  1. I would love to read The Tale of Genji. I recall reading somewhere that it is considered one of the earliest novels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I'm reading Bicycle: Love Poems by Nikki Giovanni, Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson, and Guerrilla Learning by Grace Llewellyn.

    You're going to reach 100 in no time at all. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm impressed! So many books in such a short time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charley- Yes, A Tale of Genji is actually widely recognized as the first novel ever written. Matt from A Guy's Moleskin Notebook is hosting a June read for the book if you'd like to participate. Check your local library. They should have a copy of the book. :)

    Vasilly- Thanks! I have Bicycle: Love Poems on my list. I look forward to your response to it.

    Ladybug- Yes, this is the most I have ever read in a month! I am pretty impressed with it myself! It helps that I have a lot of free time on my hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great!! So far, the last few years, I've only been able to read about a book a week. Some weeks better...others less. But it always seems to average under 60. I'd love to top at least 80 this year.

    Right now, I'm reading Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson. Then on to some graphic novels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed with all of your reading challenges that you enter and the variety of books you read. I mainly tend to focus on urban fantasy, with some horror and Science Fiction thrown into the mix. But you read a true array of books. Your challenge is to read 100 books in 2009; my personal challenge is to read 30. 30 books because lately I've been having trouble focusing on a single book at a time. You are inspiring to me, and I've always considered my self to be obsessed with reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!