May 14, 2009

My Favorite Picture Books



In honor of Children's Book Week, I am sharing some of my favorite picture books. These are my favorite books to share with my pre-kindergarten students. They are not only fun, but they teach a lesson, whether it is a literary concept, a math concept, a moral concept, or a social/personal concept. Reading to a child helps the child learn to read on their own quicker. Asking questions as you read develops their observation and critical thinking skills. And using different voices for different characters? Well, that's just plain fun. ;)




Stellaluna by Janell Cannon

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen


Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner



The Napping House by Audrey Wood



No, David! by David Shannon




Peter's Chair by Ezra Jack Keats


One Dark Night by Hazel Hutchins


Duck in the Truck by Jez Alborough


Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr.



Silly Sally by Audrey Wood




The Hat by Jan Brett

(One of the magical things about Jan Brett's books are the side stories happening in the borders of the storybook pages. Young children will not get it the first time, but subsequent readings lead to a lot of new discoveries and discussion.)






Growing Vegetable Soup by Lois Ehlert

(One of the first books I turned into a week-long activity as a student teacher. I filled a sensory table with soil and gathered plastic rakes, shovels, pails, hoes, etc., and placed them in the table.






The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle


Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner


The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant


Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes

I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato (Charlie & Lola) by Lauren Child






Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Bill Martin, Jr.





Time for Bed by Mem Fox






What are a couple of your favorite picture books to read to young children???

7 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten about Stellaluna! I loved that book as a child. I think my aunt gave it to me because it was her favourite.

    Duck in the Truck is one of my son's favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how a book cover can jog your memory. Peter's Chair came flooding back to me. I used to love that book. Great post Rebecca - I hope you don't mind if I borrow the idea for Children's Book Week. With ample credit of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list of kids books! I've been wanting to read Skippyjon Jones to my son, but keep forgetting to find it at the library. We love the David Shannon books too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle- I did not read Stellaluna until I was a teacher and I fell instantly in love with the story. Duck in the Truck is a fabulous for teaching about helping others and about gratitude.

    Kerri- Thanks! And, yes, of course you can. Children's Book Week is for everyone. If you want to see more great posts about it, visit Shelley's blog at http://writeforareader.blogspot.com

    Alyce- Thank you! A simple idea is just to print this list or make one of your own and take it with you to the library so you won't forget the next time! It's what I have to do when I go to the library! I hope you enjoy it as much as my students always seem to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just back from vacation and getting caught up on blogs and I just LOVED this post!!! I'm a huge fan of picture books and I love exploring them with my son. I'm amazed how much I still like looking at them too!! You had some good ones on you list ... though my son is afraid of the "No,David!" book because "He has sharp teeth, Mommy!" : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen- That is so cute! I can see where he gets that from, though. He does kind of have a big mouth with crazy teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see lots of my favorites in this bunch! Great choices!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!