May 1, 2009

Friday Finds 05-01

Here is what I found this week, including why I want to read it:

Book: The Bookman's Wake by John Dunning
Found @ Whimpulsive
Why: It is about a former cop turned book dealer who decides to help transport a fugitive who might have stolen a rare edition of Poe's 'The Raven'. This mystery has my name written all over it.

Book: Eat Sleep Sit: My Year at Japan's Most Rigorous Zen Temple by Kaoru Nonomura
Found @ Dolce Bellezza on GoodReads
Why: "At the age of thirty, Kaoru Nonomura left life as he knew it to undertake a year of ascetic training at Eiheiji, one of the most rigorous Zen training temples in Japan. He skillfully describes every aspect of training in a way that is easy to understand even for readers with no knowledge of Zen Buddhism. This first-person account also describes Nonomura's struggles in the face of beatings, hunger, exhaustion, fear, and loneliness, the comfort he draws from his friendships with the other trainees, and his quiet determination to give his life spiritual meaning."

Book: So Not Happening (The Charmed Life) by Jenny B. Jones
Found @ Wendi's Book Corner
Why: While chick lit and YA fiction are not on my top genre lists, I read the first chapter on Wendi's post and liked the protagonist's spunk.

Book: Murphy's Law by Rhys Bowen
Found @ Whimpulsive
Why: As Suzi says in her review, "Yes, it’s the typical intelligent plucky heroine and the plot coincidences are many , but I found myself forgiving all the predictability and just enjoying this quick and entertaining read." Even though my M.O. is to read books where I learn a lot and books that have more twists than Chubby Checker, I do like a simple read from time to time and this one looks good.

Book: Tea & Other Ayana Na Tales by Eleanor Bluestein
Found @ Trish's Reading Nook
Why: A book about other cultures in a short story format? Sign me up.


Are any of these books on your TBR list? What did you find this week?

3 comments:

  1. Eat Sleep Sit and So Not Happening both look good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eat, Sleep, Sit sounds very interesting :)
    Great finds!
    Have a Happy Weekend, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! a two-fer

    Hope you like them :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!