April 22, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday

I am excited because I have not been able to participate in WWW for weeks now. I have two words this week, though!

One word comes from the book I just finished last night, Anne Tyler's Back When We Were Grownups:


1. reconnoiter
Used like this: "Is your mother okay?" "She's fine," Rebecca said. "But I was thinking I'd like to go home and sort of...reconnoiter. Check out my roots." She gave a light laugh. "Zeb," she said, "do you ever get the feeling you've changed into a whole different person?"

Meaning: to explore, often with the goal of finding something or somebody

My second word comes from Confessions of an English Opium Eater by Thomas De Quincy, which I have been reading on Book Glutton.

2. epigram
Used like this: "..whilst we never condescended to open our books until the moment of going up, and were generally employed in writing epigrams upon his wig or some such important matter."

Meaning: a short, often satirical poem dealing concisely with a single subject and usually ending with a witty or ingenious turn of thought.

What words did you find this week?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for playing along! I love that you included the book cover in with your post - I may do that next week. You found some great words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this game. I didn't know reconniter :D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!