April 23, 2009

Thursday Tea

The Tea: Blended Black Iced Tea from Tazo, described like this: Crisp and refreshing Tazo® Iced Tea is a blend of carefully selected teas from Java, Sumatra, Sri Lanka and India with a hint of natural citrus essence. And it is most delicious.

The Book:
I'm Fine with God...It's Christians I Can't Stand: Getting Past the Religious Garbage in the Search for Spiritual Truth by Bruce Bickel and Stan Jantz. The book's description says: "This candid dialogue about the Christian community will make you laugh and even cringe as you read about well-meaning but misguided believers who take some parts of the Bible to ridiculous extremes while ignoring other parts. In the process, you'll take a good, hard look at your own life and see God for who he is. In the marketplace of ideas, God deserves a fair shot. But you may find that you have to get past the crazy things some people do in Christ's name in order to consider Christianity as a reasoned approach to faith."
The Mix: This is a book I found at Barnes & Noble while browsing one day and decided that it might be helpful to me. For over a year now I have been very disillusioned with religion as a whole. I have become more and more of a spiritual person than a religious person. Christians, in general, with no one in particular, have basically irritated me to the point that I can no longer relate to them. So this book is an attempt to try to develop a clearer understanding of what it is that is driving me in the opposite direction and how I might explain my thoughts and feelings to Christians who don't understand why I am disenchanted with it all (a.k.a. my mom).

The deliciousness of the tea compliments the book well because it is a blend of different teas much like I am a blend of different spiritual beliefs right now.

4 comments:

  1. That does sound like a great match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tea post. Sounds like an interesting book. I hope it helps you find some answers.

    I'm having a lighter read with my tea this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the combination - blending thoughts and sensations to find a whole --

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting combination. Great post. I hope you get some good things from your book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!