April 13, 2009

Rubies in the Orchard by Lynda Resnick

BOOK #: 27 (did not review #26)
CHALLENGES: New Authors, Reading Your Name Challenge
RATING:
2 Stars

Rubies in the Orchard: How to Uncover the Hidden Gems in Your Business is the story and ideas behind the brand POM Wonderful, the popular pomegranate juice company. Resnick is the marketing mastermind of POM Wonderful, as well as Fiji Water, Teleflora, and The Franklin Mint. Resnick shares the history of her company and then she shares her secrets to successful branding and entrepreneurship.

I have a love/hate relationship with this book. I will start with what I loved. There are some very useful nuggets of wisdom from the marketing genius. She shows how she took unconventional ideas and used them to create a marketing plan for a fruit that is hard to grow but has terrific health benefits. Also, the light and breezy writing style makes this an easy book to read and helps keep it flowing when the content starts to lag, and lag it does.

So here comes the part about what I did not love. While the book does contain a few 'gems' of wisdom gained from Resnick's experience, and while it does have a light flowing pace to it, I was disappointed to find the book to be a bit of an ego trip. Resnick rarely acknowledges anyone else in the book for helping solve any problems or generate any ideas as if she worked in a world full of helpless incompetent drones. However, when she explains the choices behind a strategy that did not work, she was quick to point fingers. Marketing genius or no, this is not the kind of person I would want to emulate.

I also felt that the book was more of a professional autobiography than a self-help business book, which the title How to Uncover the Hidden Gems in Your Business suggests it to be. The gems are hidden in the book for the reader to uncover and when they are uncovered many of them are not as transferrable to other business ideas as I would have hoped.

Overall, I felt that Rubies in the Orchard makes a better autobiography than a sales & marketing book and should be categorized as such. Interesting story, but honestly she did not sell me on brand Resnick.

Other Reviews:

6 comments:

  1. I agree. It felt more like an autobiography to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review. I have a copy of the book, but I don't really read business books; maybe I'll give it a try as an autobiography.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I think I'll skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch. I'm sorry you didn't care for this all that much. I don't usually do business books either, so this is probably a definite skip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I think that if it was read as more of an autobiography than a business book you might get more out of it. Worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wrote my review to post tomorrow. I agree with you. I thought the whole thing was just an ad for her stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!