April 14, 2009

The Quote Game- Art

This Week's Topic: Art

Here's how you play:

1) Each week there is a new topic, sometimes easy and sometimes more challenging. Once you know the topic, it is then your turn to find quotes from books, short stories, essays, and poems that pertain to the topic. They can contain the actual word or they can be a reference to the word, but your quote has to make sense out of context.

2) Once you have found a quote, save it and come back the next Tuesday and post it here in the comments section, along with the work you found it in, the work's author and the genre of the work. There is no limit to the number of quotes you can submit.

3) Also be sure to note next week's topic, which is at the bottom of this post. Anytime you see a passage or quote in your reading this week (or if you know of or find one) make a note of the quote and make a note to come back to Lost in Books next week and share it!

4) To get you started, I will always post the first quote. From there, let your books be your guides and, above all else, have fun! :)

Next week's topic is Arguments.

Now for your Art Quotes!

10 comments:

  1. "I cannot conceive any work of art as having a separate existence from life itself" -The Theater and Its Double by Antonin Artaud

    "I paint my own reality. The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." Frida Kahlo (I don't remember where I read this one.)

    "There's no one on the island telling them they're not good enough, so they just go ahead and sing and paint and write." -The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelangelo: "If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all."

    ReplyDelete
  3. "All art requires courage." Anne Tucker, The Woman's Eye"Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen." Leonardo da Vinci, First Part of the Book on Painting, 1651

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'But that wasn't all.' Tommy's voice was now down to a whisper. 'What she told Roy, what she let slip, which she probably didn't mean to let slip, do you remember Kath? She told Roy that things like pictures, poetry, all that kind of stuff, she said they revealed what you were like on the inside. She said they revealed your soul.' (Page 160) ...... 'Madame's got a gallery somewhere filled with stuff by students from when they were tiny. Suppose two people come up and say they're in love. She can find the art they've done over years and years. She can see if they go. If they match. don't forget, Kath, what she's got reveals our souls.' (161) from Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have an art quote yet, but I just wanted to say what a great game this is! If I don't find an art quote by the end of the day, I'll definitely have one for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful art quotes! Thank you for sharing!

    J.S.- Yes, if you find one, great! Please share! If not, please do come play next Tuesday. I look forward to your quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca: I wrote a tweet about this, hope it increases participation because it's a great feature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth- You are so sweet! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH! I could have had a million when I was reading Duma Key. Ok, I have to think a little more about this because I already gave the book away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tonya- lol. I am sure you'll think of one. And if you don't, then there is always next week to participate! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!