April 21, 2009

The Quote Game- Arguments


This Week's Topic: Arguments

Here's how you play:

1) Each week there is a new topic, sometimes easy and sometimes more challenging. Once you know the topic, it is then your turn to find quotes from books, short stories, essays, and poems that pertain to the topic. They can contain the actual word or they can be a reference to the word, but your quote has to make sense out of context.

2) Once you have found a quote, save it and come back the next Tuesday and post it here in the comments section, along with the work you found it in, the work's author and the genre of the work. There is no limit to the number of quotes you can submit.

3) Also be sure to note next week's topic, which is at the bottom of this post. Anytime you see a passage or quote in your reading this week (or if you know of or find one) make a note of the quote and make a note to come back to Lost in Books next week and share it!

4) To get you started, I will always post the first quote. From there, let your books be your guides and, above all else, have fun! :)

Next week's topic is Motion.

Now for your Argument Quotes!

6 comments:

  1. SHoot. I fogot -- blame the read-a-thon. I'll be back next week for Motion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, not sure if this counts because it doesn't SAY argument, it just is one:

    "You've got to learn Iotic," he growled at Shevek.
    "Learn Iotic?"
    "I said learn Iotic."
    "What for?"
    "So you can read Urrasti physics!"

    From The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth- That's okay! I forgot to even put my own up! lol

    Tonya- Great quote! It definitely does not have to have the word in the quote if it is on the topic.

    Here are mine:

    "I tell you Wellington is a bad general, the English are bad soldiers; we will settle this matter by lunch time." -Napoleon Bonaparte, The Corsican: A Diary of Napoleon's Life in His Own Words by Robert Matteson Johnston

    This is kind of a long one, from Pride & Prejudice:

    "That is a failing indeed!" cried Elizabeth. "Implacable resentment is a shade in a character. But you have chosen your fault well. I really cannot laugh at it. You are safe from me."
    "There is, I believe, in every disposition a tendency to some particular evil— a natural defect, which not even the best education can overcome."
    "And your defect is a propensity to hate everybody."
    "And yours," he replied with a smile, "is willfully to misunderstand them."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my favorite part of P&P!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Do you have anything good, anything positive to say, or are we just going to hate each other more? I'm sorry I mentioned your mother, which was wrong. I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry. That's all I can say on that subject"
    "Well, you meant more, but now you won't own up to it."
    "Let's stop, let's not hate each other."
    "Hate? I thought we loved each other. I don't know why you're bringing hate into it. As for my mother --"
    "Good night"
    "No, don't you, Ming --"
    "Good night, Fitzgerald."
    When he called back, the phone rang until it went to her answering machine. Five minutes later, he dialed and the phone rang until her machine picked up. An hour later, her machine answered still.

    From Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures by Vincent Lam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tonya- One of mine as well. :-)

    Kerri- Terrific quote! Thank you for playing this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!