April 27, 2009

Good Books, Inc. Scavenger Hunt Entry #4

To play in the Scavenger Hunt, visit Padfoot & Prongs' Literary Scavenger Hunt.
This is my entry for item #9, which is:
Think of you FAVORITE novel. Now think of all of the characters that are important. Noww think of any famous actors, singers, drag queens... who would fit the roles. Be a director and create your own 'dream cast'.

My favorite novel is The Poisonwood Bible, but I couldn't come up with a good enough cast for it. Then, The Great Gatsby and Pride & Prejudice had already been done and I don't know of any Turkish actors for The Virgin's Knot. So, I decided to create a cast for my favorite memoir, instead, which is Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

I tried to get as close as I could to what I imagined the characters to look like. The Italians are Italian actors, Filipe is a Brazilian actor, the Indian teenager, Tulsi, is a 17-year-old Indian actress. The hardest part was casting Richard from Texas and the Balinese because I kept coming up with Balinese dancers as oppose to actors. So I cast Indonesians for the Balinese, which is the closest I could think of. I apologize in advance if this offends anyone Balinese. If you know of Balinese actors, could you please inform Google, which seemed to know of none.

So, anyway, here is my cast! What do ya think?

CAST OF EAT PRAY LOVE
Ellen Barkin as Liz

Goran Visnjic as David
(because wouldn't you have a middle-of-a-divorce fling with him, too?)

ITALY
Raoul Bova as Giovanni & Dario,
the Tandem Language Exchange twins
(they were supposed to be hot, right?)

Filippo Timi as Luca Spaghetti

Malin Akerman as Sophie, the friend from Sweden

Michael Imperioli as Giulio


INDIA
Philip Seymour-Hoffman as Richard from Texas
(with an added beard and white hair, of course, but I can totally
see him calling Liz 'Groceries')

Shweta Prasad as Tulsi


BALI
Tora Sudiro as Yudhi
(the guy she rents the house from, who says
'Dude, why is life all crazy like this?')

Fedi Nuril as Mario (the guy that works at the hotel)

Desy Ratnasari as Wayan


Antonio Fagundes as Felipe
(remember he is supposed to be older)

Ben Kingsley as Ketut Liyer
(the lovable medicine man)
(because Ben Kingsley would rock this role)


So what do you think of my 'dream cast'???

4 comments:

  1. Wow great compilation of actors! I have yet to read the Poisonwood Bible, so I can't comment on the relevance of the actors to the actual book, but the list however is great none the less! Another great entry, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea. I wish I had known about this sooner.

    Your cast and mine would probably completely differ for this book. I would have never envisioned Ellen Barkin as Elizabeth and I think when I was reading the book I kept seeing Dr. Phil as Richard from Texas. Good job finding all the native actors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Phil!?!

    Never pictured him as Dr. Phil. Maybe because I don't like Dr. Phil, lol. I did not really picture him as PSH either, but that was the closest I could figure out.

    This really is a neat little game they have going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rocked this! I have been struggling with this one, which is why I haven't posted it yet. I like your choices ... now I'll have to reread the book and imagine them in the roles! I especially like Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Richard from Texas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!