April 28, 2009

Diversity in Reading Meme

1. Name the last book by a female author that you've read.

I am reading two right now: Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs and The Scalpel and the Silver Bear by Lori Arviso Alvord.

2. Name the last book by an African or African-American author that you've read.

What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage. I just finished it a few days ago.

3. Name one from a Latino/a author.

Hmm. I don't seem to have read any lately. Does it count I have 3 by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and one by Octavio Paz in my TBR pile?

4. How about one from an Asian country or Asian-American?

Oddly enough, considering how much I enjoy books about Asia, I haven't read one by an Asian author since January. The two then were Khaled Hosseini and Lao Tzu. The last book I read about someone in Asia was Princess Masako: Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne by Ben Hills in March. But Ben Hills is not Asian.

5. What about a GLBT writer?

I can't recall reading any books lately in which I knew the writer was GLBT. It's not something I look for in an author or a genre I seek out. I know that at some point in my life I read Find Me by Rosie O'Donnell and I'm sure there must be others that I don't remember or haven't known about.

6. Why not name an Israeli/Arab/Turk/Persian writer, if you're feeling lucky?

I read Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns in January and I have The Kite Runner in my TBR pile. I can't think of any more right now. One of my favorite books, The Virgin's Knot, takes place in Turkey, but, again, the author is not Turkish.

7. Any other 'marginalized' authors you've read lately?

I am not sure if I understand the term 'marginalized', but I will give it my best guess. I am currently reading a book by a Navajo woman, Lori Arviso Alvord, called The Scalpel and the Silver Bear, about her tales as the first Navajo woman surgeon. I also read Secret Daughter by June Cross in March. Cross is half African-American and half Caucasian.

Wow, I thought there would be more. I need to read more books that are in my 21 Cultures Challenge!


(via kiss a cloud)

8 comments:

  1. It looks like you and I ran into the same issue with the GLBT books: How do we know, unless that's explicitly what the book is about?

    We're lucky to have such good access to books by writers from other language backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks to me you're doing pretty well, Rebecca :) Nice list!
    I have read both of Hosseini's books and I actually loved The Kite Runner. Thousand Splendid Suns didn't enjoy as much. You must read the Kite Runner...It's so wonderful.
    BTY, my mom jacked my June Cross book, has finished it and said she loved it. :) Now it's my turn :)
    Have a Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you have most everything covered. For myself I am stumped by the GLBT question. I have read books with or about GLBT characters but I'm not sure if the writer were or weren't. I don't usually thing about it in terms of authors I am reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does Martin Cruz Smith count as a Latino author? Seriously, it's not just gay authors who can be incognito. It might be rude to assume a certain background based on name and the dust jacket photo without knowing more about the author. I'm afraid I'd step on a PC landmine if I played this meme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this meme, might have to steal it for my Diversity Rocks blog, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments! It was a fun meme to do. Ali, of course you can use it. It is a meme after all! :D

    The GLBT one was hardest for me, too. Just not something I check on before I read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did good on this ! I know I would FAIL miserably!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!