April 17, 2009

Dewey's 2009 Readathon

I am seriously excited to participate in my first read-a-thon tomorrow! Yea!! I spent this week thinking of what I am going to read. I have decided that I am going to pile up the books I am reading now, my next books to review and my library books that are due on the 28th . I also decided (thanks to another participant's helpful suggestion) to start the read-a-thon with something short and sweet to give me a feeling of accomplishment. Enter essays from The Outlaw Bible of American Essays:

I am going to read an essay out of this, letting myself choose tomorrow morning which one. I am reading essays for the Essay Reading Challenge anyway. It will help me feel like I accomplished something right off the bat and it will be an item to cross off of my to-read-this-year list as well. :)

Other books I am piling up include:

Life is Like a Line: A Memoir of Moods, Medication, and Mania by Cynthia M. Sabotka (review book)

Green Mansions by W.H. Hudson (I'm halfway through this one. I am reading this for a challenge.)

Good Books Lately: The One-Stop Resource for Book Groups and Other Greedy Readers by Ellen Moore and Kira Stevens (I am a couple of chapters in to this library book.)

Finding Happiness: Monastic Steps for a Fulfilling Life by Abbot Christopher Jamison (I am a few chapters in. This is also a review book.)

Bella Tuscany by Frances Mayes (library book)

The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing by Lori Arviso Alvord and Elizabeth Cohen Van Pelt (I am a couple of chapters in. I love this story so far. This is also a library book.)

Three Weeks with My Brother by Nicholas Sparks and Micah Sparks (library book)

What Does My Doctor Look Like Naked? Your Guide to Optimum Health by J. Warren Wiley II (review book)

What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage (I am about a 1/3 of the way through this one. This is a library book and a read for a challenge.)

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (This is a library book and a read for a challenge.)
Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler (I am a few chapters in this one, too. I am reading this one because, well, because I wanted to.)

A Worthy Legacy by Tomi Akinyanmi (review book that will probably have me crying due to the subject matter relating close to home)

A Lucky Child: A Memoir of Surviving Auschwitz as a Young Boy by Thomas Buergenthal (review book)

Of course I won't get through all of them but if I can knock out a couple and make a large dent in several others I will be completely satisfied. I am one of those who can't read one book at a time and also one of those who is sometimes in the mood for one particular kind of book or another so this readathon should be just like an extention of my already ingrained reading habits. :)

I will update my progress on this blog and on Twitter throughout the day. I plan on participating in at least one mini-challenge, depending on what they are. I am going to be reading on my bed, on the couch, outside if it is a pretty day, and while doing yoga on the floor. Hey, I can't just sit all day.

I am interested to know what books other read-a-thon participants are beginning their day with. Is it a book you're already reading, a short book, a YA novel, starting right from the starting gate with a tome? Leave a comment and share, plus feel free to leave a link to your own readathon post on this post and the one I will have up tomorrow.

Happy Reading, Everyone!

13 comments:

  1. I took Animal, Vegetable off my list but it may end up back on it by tomorrow. Good luck!

    My list is here:

    http://bookchatterandotherstuff.blogspot.com/2009/04/read-thon-2009-im-off-fence.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say, I never thought of finishing books I had already started. Thanks for the tip!

    I liked "Matrimony" and "Back When We Were Grownups." Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some great picks there. I'm excited. Good luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might start with one of the heavier reads.. not sure yet. But I've got a stack, here. Happy reading to you too, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put up my list on my blog last night. So excited!! I'm going to start with books I'm currently reading, then finish up with "light reading".
    BTW I enjoyed "Three Weeks with my Brother", mainly because I attended middle school with the Sparks brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also liked Back When We Were Grownups. I'm reading almost all YA tomorrow. I figure I need lots of plot-driven stuff if I'm going to make it! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow a good, big list of choices there - hope you enjoy the read-a-thon and I'll see you when I'm cheering :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, lucky you... I haven't had a chance to do that in a long time! But I do have the piles besides my bed though. Just a matter of phone ringing and stuff to do - always stuff. Enjoy your book diving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck on the read-a-thon.. I'll wait for the reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started with Under the Mountain, which is less than 160 pages.
    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific list! Enjoy your reading today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great list of books! I especially loved Matrimony. I will be looking forward to your reviews! Good luck, and ENJOY!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!