April 9, 2009

BTT: I Am Reading Way Too Many Books

Here’s the question:

Some people read one book at a time. Some people have a number of them on the go at any given time, perhaps a reading in bed book, a breakfast table book, a bathroom book, and so on, which leads me to…

  1. Are you currently reading more than one book?
  2. If so, how many books are you currently reading?
  3. Is this normal for you?
  4. Where do you keep your current reads?

I am ALWAYS reading more than one book at a time. It takes me longer to finish any one given book, but I just can't seem to read only one book. I always have at least three going at one time, usually four or five. Right now I have eight! I did not even realize that until just now. I think that is some kind of record for me, lol. I mean, how does that happen? I suppose I am so excited to read books I have right now that I can't choose! But I think it is also because I took a blogger's advice to keep different books in different places so I am never without a book.

I usually read two fiction books and the rest are nonfiction reads. Right now I have 3 fiction books and 5 nonfiction books:

1) Green Mansions by W.H. Hudson- this is my right before I drift off to sleep read.
2) Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler- this is in my car for when I am waiting in doctor's offices and such.
3) The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing by Lori Alvord and Elizabeth Cohen Van Pelt- This is my bubble bath book. :)
4) How to Survive the Loss of a Parent: A Guide for Adults by Lois F. Akner, C.S.W.- reading for obvious reasons

5) Goodbooks Lately: The One-Stop Resource for Book Groups and Other Greedy Readers by Ellen Moore and Kira Stevens- I started this one last night. I found it at the library this week. I just can't resist books about books and reading. What I have read so far has been fascinating, too. I can't wait to share it with you.
6) Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days by Victoria Lynn Schmidt- reading as I work on writing a book. I don't even care if it is a book worth reading I just love writing and want to keep practicing.
7) Finding Happiness by Abbot Christopher Jamison- a book sent to me for review
8) Rubies in the Orchard by Lynda Resnick- a book sent to me for review. I started reading it and couldn't get into it because I was not in a great mood at the time and put it off. After reading Marta's review, I decided to give it another shot. I started it over yesterday and I am actually liking it better this time, which I was, of course, hoping for.

So that, my friends, is a lot of books. I am overwhelmed just looking at that list. I wonder which one I will finish first?

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I stand in awe of your book-juggling abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got me beat, I'm only in 7 books right now, lol...

    It seems like the book on the First Navajo Woman Surgeon would be the book for Dr. Appts. And I like the Goodbooks Lately subtitle... "Greedy Readers" yup, that's me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow -- 8 books -- that is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no way I could read 8 books at once. I stick with one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a lot of books! Rubies in the Orchard sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually have 2-3 going at once, but 8 is way to many!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to see someone is juggling almost as many books as I am. Before I counted my own "currently reading" books, I would have told you I was reading six. It turns out, I'm reading ten. Insanity! I don't know how it got so high. But everything I'm reading is pretty great, so that's probably why. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you keep track? Do you get to read a bit of every book or you just go by the whim? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like I said, I have never read this many at once. I think it has a lot to do with just not being able to choose and make a decision on which one to pick next!

    koolaidmom- I agree that The Scalpel and Silver Bear sounds more doctor's waiting room appropriate but I find I like to read fiction when I am in the waiting room. Just something I've learned about myself. It does seem like those 2 books are backwards.

    Peyton- 10 books! Now it's my turn to be in awe. :o

    mattviews- I find it pretty easy to keep track only because I choose books that it is impossible to mix-up with others I am reading. I'm not going to confuse Rebecca in Back When We Were Grownups with Dr. Lori Alvord or Rima of Green Mansions. That makes it a lot easier. If I was reading books whose stories were more similar (say 2 crime thrillers, for example) I would probably be lost, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh My Lord! I could never read 8 books at one time! I am a die-hard one book at a time reader ... but I do have a book I keep in my car for emergencies that is full of short essays. Bathrooms are stocked with magazines. I don't think I could follow 8 books at once!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!