April 20, 2009

100 Shots of Short- Stories 18-22

STORY # 18- The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe
FOUND AT- Classic Short Stories
DATE READ- April 19, 2009
RATING- 5 Stars
QUOTE- "Here again I paused abruptly, and now with a feeling of wild amazement --for there could be no doubt whatever that, in this instance..."


STORY # 19- The Damned Thing by Ambrose Bierce
FOUND AT- The Short Story Classics
DATE READ- April 19, 2009
RATING- 3 Stars
QUOTE- "Before I could get upon my feet and recover my gun, which seemed to have been struck from my hands, I heard Morgan crying out as if in mortal agony, and mingling with his cries were such hoarse, savage sounds as one hears from fighting dogs. Inexpressibly terrified, I struggled to my feet and looked in the direction of Morgan’s retreat; and may heaven in mercy spare me from another sight like that!"


STORY # 20- Regret by Kate Chopin
FOUND AT- The Short Story Classics
DATE READ- April 19, 2009
RATING- 2 Stars
QUOTE- "One morning Mamzelle Aurélie stood upon her gallery, contemplating, with arms akimbo, a small band of very small children who, to all intents and purposes, might have fallen from the clouds, so unexpected and bewildering was their coming, and so unwelcome."


STORY #21- Three Miraculous Soliders by Stephen Crane
FOUND AT- The Short Story Classics
DATE READ- April 20, 2009
RATING- 3 Stars
QUOTE- "Heroines, she knew, conducted these matters with infinite precision and despatch. They severed the hero's bonds, cried a dramatic sentence, and stood between him and his enemies until he had run far enough away. She saw well, however, that even should she achieve all things up to the point where she might take glorious stand between the escaping and the pursuers, those grim troopers in blue would not pause."


STORY #22- The Garden Party by Katherine Mansfield
FOUND AT- Classic Reader
DATE READ- April 20, 2009
RATING- 4 Stars
QUOTE- "And after all the weather was ideal. They could not have had a more perfect day for a garden-party if they had ordered it."

Click here to see what other short stories I have read for the challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I recall reading The Fall of the House of Usher at some point in my life. I might be due for a re-read, especially since you gave it 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of Poe. I like most everything he wrote. The Fall of the House of Usher is one of his classic creepy tales.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!