March 18, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday #3

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion "where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading." Join in on the fun and expand your vocabulary! Here are the new words that I discovered this week:







My Antonia by Willa Cather

1. oracular- ambiguous; obscure

2. quinsy- a suppurative inflammation of the tonsils; suppurative tonsillitis; tonsillar abscess

3. parsimonious- being frugal or stingy




Princess Masako: Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne by Ben Hills

1. ubiquitous- being everywhere at the same time; omnipresent

2. obsequious- obedient; dutiful

3. bowdlerised- to expurgate (a written work) by removing or modifying passages considered vulgar or objectionable

4. donnish- bookish

5. agitprop- agitation and propaganda, esp. for the cause of communism

6. ignominy- disgrace; dishonor; public contempt

7. anathema- a person or thing detested or loathed; perhaps consigned to damnation or excommunication

8. hagiographer- a writer of the lives of the saints




And, as a bonus, I will share with you one Japanese phrase I found interesting:



mazakan- abbreviation of the Japlish phrase mazaa konpurekkusu, or 'mother complex'. It was said by many about Naruhito because he was raised by his mother. So basically he was a 'momma's boy'. I've known way too many mazakans in my time, I know that! :)

What is your favorite new word? What wondrous words did you find in your reading this week?

4 comments:

  1. You found a lot of great words this week. I don't have any :( I especially liked bowdlerised though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. parsimonious is one of my favorite words....right alongside ubiquitous, obsequious, and ignominy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found some good ones. I wish I could remember bowdlerised long enough to use it in a sentence. Thanks for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned ubiquitous when I was studying for the GRE and it is one of the words that I still use quite frequently.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!