March 1, 2009

Midwives by Chris Bohjalian


BOOK #: 13
CHALLENGES: New Authors, A to Z
RATING: Amazing! (4 stars)



The most memorable two sentences in the book are the very first one, and the very last one.



Midwives was a delicious read. I had tried it once before a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it. I am happy I decided to give it another try!





The story about the teenage daughter of a midwife who is under investigation following a birth gone wrong is written with such vivid descriptions and clever plot twists that I was entranced throughout the book. I liked the journal entries by the mother, Sybil, that are at the beginning of the chapters. They gave me a real insight into the mother's mind the emotional side of being a midwife. The perspective of the daughter, Connie, showed the reader both the more mature side of Connie and the part of her that was still a girl trapped in a stressful and uncertain situation. Even though he had a small part in the writing, the father, Rand, was also a great character.



I had never read a book by Chris Bohjalian before but after reading this superbly talented piece of writing, I will be looking to put more of his work on my TBR list.

6 comments:

  1. This one sounds very good. Your review makes me want to read it.
    I'm glad you're able to use your Dad's computer. That sucks about the hard drive :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book does sound good. I haven't read any of Chris Bohjalian's work, but keep reading good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed Midwives so much! I'm a huge fan of Bohjalian. I'd recommend Trans-Sister Radio as your next read by him (if you're looking for another, of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Chris Bohjalian's writing. I haven't yet read this one, but I hope to someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember liking this but barely remember the details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just picked this up today at the library sale, so I am very glad to read such a positive review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!