March 15, 2009

Marvelous Mondays for 03-16-09


Since it has been weeks since I did a Marvelous Mondays post, I am going to share some extra posts this week. I am still dreadfully behind on my blog reading (and posting for that matter!) and I hope I have not overlooked anything spectacular. That would be so sad not to recognize it! No news still on the laptop yet, but I really pray it won't be long and I hope that they do not have to replace the hard drive as I am fearing they will. That is what happens when you don't back it up! Let this be a lesson to us all! Go back your hard drive up this instant! Well, how about after you read this post. (Hey, isn't this procrastinating stuff how I got into this mess in the first place?) Here is the list for today and hopefully you will find something new and noteworthy and maybe even find yourself on the list!

Six Great Reviews:


1.Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali on Classical Bookworm- After hemming and hawing on whether to read it or not, this review may have just put it on the definite to-read list.


2. The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway on kiss a cloud- The excerpt was beautifully selected and reminded me once again why I want to read this book.


3. The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale on Between the Covers- This line tells you how clever a writer she is when she reviews: "From some of the journalism and correspondence quoted, it seems clear that it wasn’t the invasion of privacy that so incensed people, so much as the invasion of middle-class privacy by one whose originated among the great unwashed."


4. Natasha at Maw Books Blog reviews the Ella series for children. I loved reading these to my students and they loved hearing them!


5. A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena De Blasi on The Chic Geek- Kelly's review was honest and intimate at the same time.


6. A Joruney Into Michelangelo's Rome by Angela Nickerson on worducopia- I liked Ali's different angle and style of review on this one.

Passionate Posts:


1. The Book Inscriptions Project over at Ready When You Are, C.B.- I love that C.B. loves inscriptions. I like all the different ways fellow bibliophiles find happiness in a book.

2. Heather's revamped review policy on her blog, Book Addiction, has made me consider writing my own.


Great Posts for a Weekly:


1. Weekly Geek's Quote on kiss a cloud- There were many seas

2. Bermudaonion's Wondrous Words Wednesdays are fantastic. I love participating (I did have my lists on MSWord and now have had to resort to paper and pen- the horrors!) and I love reading the new words everyone finds. I love learning so this is a great tool for me. Plus, it lets you know which books are not just fluff.

3. Gautami takes on racism at the Reading Room for Dewey's Weekly Geeks political & social issues theme.



PLUS: Be sure to check out Bookish Ruth's 13th Book Review Blog Carnival!


I know there are some I missed because I have not finished reading all the hundreds of posts left in my Google Reader! I will get to them and recognize the outstanding posts ASAP!



8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link love, Rebecca! I'm off to check the other links you posted.. Happy Monday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list of links. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your blog is quickly becoming one of MY faves. This post is just one example of why. How wonderful of you to share what your faves are writing. I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list and a nifty blog idea. thanks!

    I'm halfway through Infidel for Book Club and am blown away by it. I think it should be required reading, at least for every woman I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm way behind on my blog reading, too! Thanks for mentioning my Michelangelo's Rome review, I'm glad you liked it.

    I look forward to Marvelous Mondays every week (though I sometimes don't get to them until around Thursday...) and am glad to see it's back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everybody! It makes me happy that you like this weekly so much. It has been a little bit challenging to keep up with all my favorites without my laptop. I keep track of everything on my computer, saving favorites for Marvelous Mondays and Friday Finds included. I am trying to devise another system using my Google Reader until I get my comp back. And I am trying to catch up on my backlog of posts to read! Oh my, it is long! Thanks for the encouragement to keep up the Marvelous Mondays! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this wonderful gizmo now that automatically backs up for me every hour. Peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!