March 23, 2009

Marvelous Mondays 03-23-09

It's that time of the week again! I think this is the weekly post that I get the most comments about. For those of you who are new to the blog, MM showcases the best bookish blog posts I have found during the past week. My theory is this: If you put in the time to write a thoughtful post and if you have a post that just stands out, then you deserve recognition for such! It's just a little something I do to encourage those extraordinary posts and bloggers.

MARVELOUS REVIEWS:
~Heather at Book Addiction wrote a great review on Shattered Reality by Kimberly Cheryl. I am getting the book in the mail soon!

~Dana from The Book Book wrote a lovely review on John Steinbeck's East of Eden.

~C.B. wrote a thoughtful and thorough review for Viktor E. Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. This book has been on my TBR list for forever. I really need to get around to reading it.

~Valentina wrote a thoughtful review on Looking for Alaska by John Green. The quote she had from Green, "If people were rain, I was drizzle and she was hurricane" was amazing. I try to stay between drizzle and hurricane myself, but if I had to choose I would say I drift more towards hurricane.


PASSIONATE POSTINGS:
~I do hope everyone has congratulated Marta on her 100th post (mine passed by without me even realizing it I have to say). While you are there, be sure to enter into her drawing for not one, but two (2) bundles of Hachette Book Group books! (Don't forget to say thanks!)

~Also, Marta has the GREATEST response to the Pope's answer to "place a Bible over your penis before intercourse" as the only method of preventing AIDS. Is he freaking KIDDING me??? He is such an embarrassment to liberal Catholics like myself. I long for the days of Pope John Paul II. Well, Marta can say it better than me, so go read what she says. I stand behind it. (P.S. In case you were wondering, this really has nothing to do with books other than the Bible is a book, but, this is important to share I think.)


~Susan never lets me down! More wonderful posts on The Book Chook this past week. One was 20 Ways to Incorporate Literacy into Your Kids' Lives. It is like she takes the words right out of my mouth and then says them even better than I could. The other one was How to Read Aloud and Wow Your Audience. I found this one right after posting last week's Marvelous Mondays. She also gets a big shout-out for contributing to an anthology called The Ultimate Teacher and giving shout-outs to the great teachers out there. I was a pre-k teacher until just before I started this blog in January. Anyone who gives teachers the respect and recognition they deserve is definitely a friend of mine.

GREAT POSTS FOR A WEEKLY:
~Lisa May has had a marvelous idea for a weekly- Thursday Themed Booklists! Is that not a great idea? Hop on over and see her list for the theme of Fashion.

~Well, if you think that the only thing Lisa May's come up with lately is the great idea for Themed Booklists, then you would be underestimating her! She has also come up with the First Lines Game! See if you can guess the book the first lines came from. I found some to be easy, but a few others not so much.

~Amy from My Friend Amy listed 25 Influential Authors on her March 15th Sunday Salon post. She has inspired me to come up with a list of my own. I am still lacking a few spots just yet. Litlove from Tales from the Reading Room has 10 influential authors as well.

~I LOVE the teaser Gautami left for us on her Tuesday Teaser post at Reading Room.

~Rob from Rob Around Books has a link in his Wednesday Book Bites to a list of '10 Literary One-Hit Wonders'. Very cool.

~I liked the quote Rebecca from The Book Lady's Blog selected for the second day of the Weekly Geeks quote a day event. Oh, and the fourth day, too. :)

~Okay, she totally gets on this list just for having the kick-ass Steve Miller Band reference. Go read Bellezza's Friday Fill-Ins from March 12 if you haven't and see what I am talking about.

INTERVIEW OF THE WEEK:

~Check out the terrific interview with Laura Fitzgerald, author of One True Theory of Love, on Lisa's blog, Books on the Brain.

~Not so much an interview on Savvy Verse & Wit but a guest post by author Sharon Lathan. Lathan is the author of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy: Two Shall Become One.


FUN & FRESH:
~I once had Jessica from Both Eyes Book Blog on MM for her amazing redo of Sir Mix-a-Lot's Baby Got Back (which you can find here) but now you need to check out I Can't Publish, her remake of MC Hammer's Can't Touch This.

~Click on over and check out The Dangerous Pages Review. She has a list of the Top 10 Trippiest Books. Now, doesn't that wet your curiosity? (I think that is actually a mixture of metaphors, but whatever.)

~Are you participating in Padfoot & Prongs' Good Books Contest? No? Then I must insist you to march yourself right over there and sign up!

DIFFERENT AND NOTABLE THIS WEEK:
I love reading book reviews, just like we all do. But sometimes the same books have a tendency to be reviewed within the same week or two of each other, especially ARCs. Now I love, love getting different perspectives on the same book. It is one thing I like about the blogging review world. However, I also relish it when a blogger reviews a book no one else is talking about. I get bored easily (damn A.D.D.) so these reviews help me to keep on my toes and break it all up for me. So thanks to these friends for helping me out this week:

~@ The Chic Geek: The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder. Kelly is reading this for the Book Awards Challenge. It won the Pulitzer Prize in 1928.

~Little Bee by Chris Cleave is what Suzi at Whimpulsive read this week for the Support Your Local Library Challenge. She says this book "impressed her a lot."

~Ali from Worducopia seems to always have an interesting new book to try. She has read This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley. I would love to get some good tips on getting past my writer's block and Ali says this book could very well deliver.

~Lisa May at Look at That Book reviewed Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender. She includes some haunting quotes that are worth checking out, too.

~The Simplest Acts and Other Stories by Melanie Haney was reviewed by Dar at Peeking Between the Pages. She shares some of her favorite stories. They look good.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca :) Great post! I can't believe the Pope said that. OMG, did he really say that? That is absolutely absurd.

    You put so much work in to your research. I always appreciate how much you do. It's great to come over here...like one stop shopping, I find out everything I need to know!
    Thanks for mentioning me too :) That was sweet :)
    Have a Great Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout-out! This is a really fun post with a lot of great suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention about the contest! We really can't wait to see what all you folks come up with. We will be sure to give you a shout out sometime in the near future. Also we can't wait to see the post you said you would do of opening lines. I'd love to see what other great ones are out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for the link!! much appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My stars, what a lot of work it must be to write up a post like this. And a lot of reading you had to do too. I've always loved my copy of Man's Search For Meaning, and The Bridge of San Luis Rey. And I just finished Little Bee myself and found it to be a great read, highly recommended.
    I read the Pope's comment and Marta's post, and Rob's One-Hit Wonders. I'm off to look up a couple more links. Thank you so much for these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have given you an award - stop by here and check it out!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fantastic post and a great service. I'll be sure to make it a Monday habit, not just because you linked to me either. Though thank you very much.

    Do move Man's Search for Meaning to the top of your TBR list. It's very good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!