March 19, 2009

Booking Through Thursday 03-19-09



Here is this week's BTT hosted by Deb. To join in and read other answers, click on through to the meme's blog (here).


The question: What’s the worst "best" book you’ve ever read—the one everyone says is so great, but you can't figure out why?


I have a couple that I can think of right off the top of my head. One is The Italian Lover by Robert Hellenga. I won it from Shelly and she liked it so much and I had heard others liked it that I was more than excited. I started reading it and I cannot get into it. I don't know if it is just the beginning is slow and dry and then it picks up pace or if it is just not the book for me.


Another one is J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. I thought it was anti-climatic and boring, classic or no.


I had a roommate at one time give me Confessions of a Shopaholic to read because she loved the books. My eyes nearly bugged out of my head from boredom! Now it is a movie and I cannot figure out what the big deal is. I couldn't even finish this one.


Any tips on reading The Italian Lover? Did anyone else experience this with this book, or any of these books? What has been a book you didn't understand the hype about?

9 comments:

  1. I sort of felt the same way about The Catcher in the Rye when I first read it, many years ago. Don't know what I'd think now. It was highly recommended by the guy who was to become my husband, so I had to read it, of course. But Salinger is a fine writer, and some of his other work is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only read Confessions of a Shopaholic and the second book in the series and really liked them.. I know it's chick-lit and meaningless but it's good for a laugh and actually I could see her charachter in a very close relative of mine.. so I loved Becky :) that was her name in the book right?! it was a while ago

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow I could NOT AGREE MORE with Catcher. I think it is soooo over rated! Salinger has such better stuff. I guess for most people Catcher is the first 'cool' book they are forced to read in school so they just kind of cling to it. Branch out people honestly.

    I would have to say my book would be Moby Dick. Not going to lie I was bored out of my mind. If he had cut it down by half I might have been alright, but Melville takes 3 pages to describe a pot. A POT. No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree somewhat with Confessions of a Shopaholic. I loved the first two books, skipped the third (it wasn't at the library at the time), and read the fourth. But by the time I got there, I realized the same thing happens in ever book and Becky never really learns or grows up all that much.

    ~ Popin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggled so badly with Salinger's Nine Stories that I have no desire to read Catcher now. Haven't read/heard of Italian Lover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hated Catcher in the Rye too. And I haven't read the Shopaholic books, but I felt the same way about Bridget Jones's Diary. Couldn't even finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked Catcher, probably because I've read it as a teenager. A little pretentious, perhaps, but I was very engrossed by it, as I remember. Moby Dick, I'd really like to give a try still, despite all the negative feedback. :D

    Chick lit is one genre I can never get into, no matter how hard I try. I loved the Bridget Jones movies, but cannot get into the books, and I've tried to read them more than once. The Nanny Diaries I couldn't either. Never attempted Shopaholic as I'm sure the effect will be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not like March by Geraldine Brooks at all. Loved her first book, Year of Wonders, but March...yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!