February 18, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday #1


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion "where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading." Join in on the fun and expand your vocabulary! Here are the new words that I discovered this week, separated by work:

Stumbling into Happiness by Daniel Gilbert (This book is unsurprisingly chock full of vocab, but the jargon is always defined.)
1. blindsight- (n.) the ability of a blind person to sense accurately a light source or other visual stimulus even though unable to see it consciously.
2. alexithymia- the absence of words to describe emotional states.
3. corrugator supercillia- the muscle in a face which furrows our brow when we experience something unpleasant
5. zygomaticus major- the muscle in a face which pulls our mouths up toward our ears when we smile
6. physiography- the study of the earth's surface; includes people's responses to topography, climate, soil, vegetation. Gilbert states in the book, "Physiography allows us to measure the electrodermal, respiratory, and cardiac activity of the autonomic nervous system, all of which change when we experience strong emotions."


Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
1. propound-
to put forward or offer for consideration, acceptance, or adoption.
2. imperious-
domineering in a haughty manner; dictatorial; overbearing; urgent; imperative
3. atomism-
psychology. A method or theory that reduces all psychological phenomena to simple elements

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
1. limpid- clear, translucent, as water, crystal or air
2. caprice- a sudden, unpredictable change; a tendency to change ones mind whimsically

8 comments:

  1. Wow! You found a lot of words this week. I like the way you divided them by books. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a lot of words and if I am pronouncing alexithymia- the absence of words to describe emotional states--correctly in my head, this is a fantastic word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the alliteration of this meme! I will try to participate next time, as you saw on my post I listed more "things" I learned than words. The next most important thing about learning what new words MEAN while reading, is how to PRONOUNCE them out loud. I still cringe when I think about how I tried to use epitome, clandestine, and macabre in sentences for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have found a lot of new words. It has been quite the learning experience. But that is why I love this meme. I love learning! And this is a great way to share it with each other.

    Lustyreader- I have the same problem. I will only have ever read a word and then I try to use it and I get looked at so strangely because I almost always pronounce it incorrectly! I have to work on that one. But it is difficult if you've never heard it spoken, almost like learning a new language just from reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great words. I knew all the anatomy ones, but alexithymia had me stumped. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really good words! Alexithymia is brand new to me - now I just need a chance to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. I'm going to play next week. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. alexithymia! I could totally see myself using that word in frustration, if I could remember how to say it! Great list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!