February 21, 2009

Surfing Saturdays

Hi, friends and fellow book lovers! I hope you are having a great Saturday! I have had a lazy one, myself, filled with reading and watching movies! I do have some links I would like to share with you this Saturday that you may be interested in. I hope to show you a different side of me that does not always have to do with books. You will see this side appear sometimes in these Surfing Saturday posts. By the way, please check out the blog Literary Menagerie. She came up with Surfing Saturdays and is also a wonderful person and blogger.

SURF'S UP:

~Welcome to Elsewhere, U.S.A. Salon asks are we more productive in the age of Facebook, blogging, and texting, or are we just more anxious?

~And on that note, CNN reports that now even surgeons are sending tweets for updates from the operating room?

~Also in the medical field, an article about the realities of fibromyalgia and if drug companies are profiting from the syndrome. I have fibromyalgia so this is important information to me. If you don't know what fibromyalgia is, feel free to ask questions. I am happy to discuss it.

~Wilson Quarterly asks the question: are we stuck in our own "McCulture" and have we lost our taste for the truly foreign? The article argues that while we think we are more cultured, we may be less.

~Were Thoreau, Emerson, and the other 19th century idealists not only living in the woods, but also vegetarians? And how radical was this idea in this period of industrialization?

~Supermarkets are swapping price tags for LCD monitors, but this does not necessarily mean the swap is an environmentally friendly one.

~I am reading Stuffed by Hank Cardello right now and it has me focused on the food industry. Here is an article from the Freaknonomics blog about the infamous Trader Joe's. Do you know who owns Trader Joe's? Aldi.

~What do Ben Franklin and C.S. Lewis have in common? Their libraries are now both cateloged on Library Thing.

~And, finally, just because I think it's fun, I have included a link to a quiz about one of my favorite movies, Love Actually. Can you beat my score? I missed 2, but they were questions that did not pertain to the plot or characters.

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday! =)

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi's. We don't have a Trader Joe's here (but I have been in one), but we do have an Aldi's. I don't care for it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good set of links! I'm a huge transcendentalist fan. Did you read March by Geraldine Brooks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. bermudaonion- I think Aldi's is great for items such as cereal (in my opinion their brands taste as good as the national brands) and crackers and such. I don't buy meat or anything there, though.

    Meg- thank you, I am glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for letting me know, too. :)

    Beth- I haven't read March yet but I have had it recommended to me. Any more I should look into?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!