February 1, 2009

The Sunday Salon: January Round-Up

The Sunday Salon.com

I am going to try to include 2 weeks into this Sunday Salon. I missed last Sunday because, well, it was the day my father passed. So, I was a little bit distracted to say the least. But, I will make up for it with this week's post! :)

For this Sunday, I am doing my January round-up: what I've read, what I've added to my theoretical TBR pile, and just where I got those TBR books from. I tried to put all of the recommendations from one place together on the list, so hopefully, I did. :)

Books Read in January:
1. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
2. The Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
3. The Dark Side of Camelot by Seymour M. Hersh
4. The Tall Stranger by Louis L'Amour
5. Artists' Journals & Sketchbooks...by Lynne Perrella
6. Notes from My Travels by Angelina Jolie
7. The Sugar Solution by Sari Harrar
8. Celebrate Life: New Attitudes for Living with Chronic Illness by Kathleen Lewis
9. The New Girls by Beth Grutcheon (DNF)


Books Added to TBR List:
1. Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas (Becky's Book Reviews)
2. Snow White and Rose Red by Patricia C. Wrede (Becky's Book Reviews)
3. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (Trish's Reading Nook)
4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Trish's Reading Nook)
5. The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent (book-a-rama)
6. The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (worducopia)
7. Breathing Out the Ghost by Kirk Curnutt (Caribousmom)
8. The Road Home by Rose Tremain (Caribousmom)
9. That Summer in Sicily: A Love Story by Marlena De Blasi (Caribousmom)
10. The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga (Literary Menagerie)
11. Love and Friendship by Jane Austen (Lynda's Book Blog)
12. The Eternal Light of Egypt: A Photographic Journey by Sarite Sanders (Citizen Reader)

13. I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti (Rob Around Books)
14. Sublime Simplicity by Alice Munro (A Life in Books)
15. The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler (Bending Bookshelf)
16. Dreams from My Father (Bending Bookshelf)
17. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (BiblioAddict)
18. Ten Poems to Change Your Life by Roger Housdan (The Chic Geek)
19. The Sinner's Guide to Confession by Phyllis Schieber (Diary of an Eccentric)
20. A Lovely Little War: Life in a Japanese Prison Camp through the eyes of a child by Angus Lorenzen (Bookfoolery and Babble)
21. And Only to Decieve by Tasha Alexander (Library Queue)
22. Lottery by Patricia Wood (Find Your Next Book Here)
23. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami (things mean a lot)
24. The Fireman's Wife by Jack Riggs (The Sleepy Reader)

25. Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips (Don't remember source)
26. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel- reading it now! (Don't remember source)
27. The Piano Teacher by Janice Y. K. Lee (Don't remember source)
28. Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell (Everyone)
29. Mindful Eating by Jan Chozen Bays, M.D. (Library Thing Early Reviewers List)
30. The Sound of Building Coffins by Louis Maistros (Library Thing Early Reviewers List)
31. The Book of Dead Philosphers by Simon Critchley (NY Times)
32. A Journal for Jordan by Dana Canedy (People Magazine)
33. Osho's Books in English (Osho World)
34. Note to Self by Andrea Buchanan (Barnes & Noble recommendation)
35. Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster (Barnes & Noble recommendation)
36. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (B&N recommendation)

This took me 2 hours to complete because I forgot to write down where the recommendations came from. I will know to do this for February!!



11 comments:

  1. Rebecca,
    I'm so sorry to hear of your sad news. I find it remarkable that you have strength and courage to bounce back so quickly.

    Thanks for a great list of recommendations (including an excellent one from that incredible guy Rob :o)). There's a few there that I'm going to look into myself
    Take care and keep strong
    Warmest
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about your father, Rebecca. My thoughts are with you.

    It does look like you had a great reading month. I really want to read A Thousand Splendid Suns. Maybe this will be the year.

    I went back and read your thoughts on Beth Gutcheon's The New Girls--was curious why you didn't finish it. I have another of her books sitting on my shelf to read soon. I read something by her before, More Than You Know, which I liked but it didn't blow me away. That's too bad about The New Girls.

    I added quite a few books to my wish list this past month too. I need to keep better track of what I add and who recommends it so I can do something like this too. I have started keeping a more organized list of books that I add to my TBR collection (books I actually own) though, but I'm too embarrassed to post it all at once since it's huge. LOL

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness, what a list :) So many great books!
    Have a Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about your Father.

    Gosh your TBR list is huge but great. I loved the Book Thief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your list looks like mine. You add WAY more books to your TBR list than you read! I'm impressed that you made it through nine books in a month, though. I usually shoot for four.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of the condolences and warm wishes. I didn't mean to have it be so out there but I guess I felt the need to let everyone know. It has been challenging, and will continue to be, but I guess I am able to get through this because I am a little numb right now and because I have a history of random, crazy, hard experiences in the last decade. I've been practicing for this! :P

    And yes my TBR list is huge and is always expanding. It is crazy! It would be more books I own if 1) I had not just discovered them this past month, and 2) I had found a new job already. That income thing always makes a difference! haha

    Thanks for all of the comments! I love getting to know you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 9 books? Well done. :)

    *hugs*

    JM @ TheBookStacks.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about your father, I know what losing a dad feels like. I'm surprised you could concentrate enough to read nine books. I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns. The Book Thief is a favourite, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. The White Tiger, Life of Pi, and The Thirteenth Tale are all good too. I want to read The Piano Teacher and The Road Home too. You have some great reading there. My Sunday Salon is a January reading wrap-up too. Happy reading in February.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Sandra.

    Truth is, reading was the one thing I could do while at the hospital. My father slept a lot, and then he did nothing but sleep the last few days. Sitting in a hospital room watching someone sleep gets pretty dull pretty quickly. Reading kept me occupied, gave me a distraction, and kept me from overdosing on the situation at hand.

    I am almost halfway through Life of Pi tonight. It has just gotten better and better. Unless it has an ending that doesn't make sense (which I don't since other people have not said so), I foresee myself giving rave reviews of it. Part One was a little choppy, but Part Two has sucked me in and has kept me flipping page after page.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm glad you are enjoying Life of Pi. I think it really is a great escapist novel, no? You'll also enjoy Paris to the Moon as it is one of my favourite nonfiction books in the world. Best of luck and take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!