February 15, 2009

Sunday Salon 02-15-09


The week has gone by and I don't know what I have been doing with it. It is true that it has been harder for me to read the past two weeks than usual. For some reason I guess the lethargy of everything is settling in. I have been wanting to watch movies more than anything (by the way, I don't recommend Pretty Devils). But honestly, where did the rest of the time I could have been reading go?

So far Stumbling on Happiness has proved to be a more challenging read than I anticipated. It is chock full of information and can be very detailed in order to prove his thesis, as it were, which is "The human being is the only animal that thinks about the future." He shows to prove this theory and what role happiness plays in it. It is pretty good and very eye-opening at times (you'll never believe how much you don't know about happiness) but I have had to read only a chapter a week, or roughly 25 pages. After that, I can't seem to pick it up again for about a week. It does have jargon, but the author, Daniel Gilbert, is quick to explain exactly what the words and phrases mean. It is just a meaty book packed into a small binder. It is a lot of information that takes time to digest. I haven't lost interest in it, but I am finding it hard to read quickly. Perhaps it is a challenging read because my mind sometimes feels like it is going everywhere at once. I think it is also why I am having trouble reading The Brothers Karamazov. Well, that and because the meat of the book is about what happens after the father is killed. It is hard to read that so soon after my own father's death, as I am sure you understand. I have put this book on a bit of a hiatus.

In between chapters of Stumbling on Happiness, I am reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (which I am only about 15 pages into) and Stuffed by Hank Cardello (which I have only read the preface of). And I started reading Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil online. I can never read just one thing at a time. I am far too A.D.D. for that.

Now that my busy day is over (I spent a good chunk of it with my sister working on cleaning out my mom's basement- so much left to do, too!) I am going to sit back and relax and open up Stuffed and read about just who is responsible for all of this obesity in America. And here I thought it was the person's fault, what do I know? Obviously nothing because he wrote the book on it. Literally.

So, I hope you have enjoyed your own Sunday and have found some time to kick your feet up and read, if only for a little while. It is Sunday, after all.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a bit A.D.D. myself. And I love watching movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post. Thanks for commenting on my blog by the way. And I must have A.D.D. too, I've always got three books on the go. Sometimes I don't always finish them, so I should read one or two instead...not sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great to know I am not the only one leafing through several books at once!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!