February 2, 2009

Recalling Books of My Yesterdays

For the past two days I have been trying to recall all of the books I read when I was about 9-15 years old. I turned 9 in late 1988, so it has been 20 years. I decided to scour Amazon and the internet for more books than I came up with on my own, but I kept coming across the same titles. Now, I know a couple of big ones that most friends I knew (and my sister) read that I did not (ex. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret and Island of the Blue Dolphins). Still, I should be able to come up with more. I know I read a couple of the same books over and over again, so maybe it just seems like I was reading more books than I actually did.

Here is the list I came up with. What books do you remember reading around this age?

1. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
2. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
3. Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish (ok, I am not sure about this one. Maybe I was younger?)
4. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
5. Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery
6. Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
7. Lots (but not all) of The Babysitter's Club Series (my absolute favorite was Sitters on Board, the Super Special #1. I must have read it two dozen times!)
8. Lots (but not all) of the Sweet Valley Junior High Series
9. Lots (but not all) of the Sweet Valley High Series
10. The Call of the Wild by Jack London
11. White Fang by Jack London
12. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
13. Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
14. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
15. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
16. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

17. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
18. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald and Hilary Knight
19. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
20. Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
21. Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
22. Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
23. Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar and Julie Brinckloe
24. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
25. The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss
26. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

I was looking at the Anne of Green Gables and Little House Box Sets, both of which I know I had. Yet, I think I only read 2 books out of each set. Hmm...odd.

So which books do you remember best from your late elementary/middle school/junior high days (you know, around in there):) ?

3 comments:

  1. LOL. I tried to do this last year and it took me about 6 months just to remember what the name of the Sweet Valley High series was! All I could remember was reading some books about two blond twins, and one of the girls was blowing a bubble with bubble gum on the front cover. :)

    Let's see...around that time I was also reading:
    The Babysitter's Club
    Nancy Drew
    The Boxcar Children
    The Hardy Boys
    Ella Enchanted
    The Two Princesses of Bamarre
    The Dear America Series (which I loved)
    The Little House on the Prairie series
    Fog Magic
    The Black Pearl


    That's about it...after a while I lost my love of reading until after I was through high school. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, high school was not full of reading for me either. There was so much to read in school, the thought of reading outside of school was not on my list of fun things to do. College was the same way. There were a few exceptions, but mostly I only read books for classes and books having to do with teaching. I am glad I have been able to fall back in love with reading since graduating 3 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list - I loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Pippi Longstocking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!