February 24, 2009

The Quotes Game- Books

Welcome to another Quote Game!

This is how the game works:
Each week I will select a topic, sometimes easy and sometimes more challenging. Once you know the topic, it is then your turn to find quotes from books, short stories, essays, and poems that pertain to the topic. They can contain the actual word or they can be a reference to the word, but your quote has to make sense out of context.

Once you have found a quote, come back and post it here in the comments section, along with the work you found it in, the work's author and the genre of the work. There is no limit to the number of quotes you can submit, but try not to submit more than 5-6 in one comment (and only 1 quote is also acceptable). So, what if you find a quote about this week's topic in 2 weeks? You can come back and add another quote in a comment at any time.

To get you started, I will always post the first quote in my post. From there, let your books be your guides and, above all else, have fun! :)

THIS WEEK'S TOPIC: BOOKS
(As in, the topic of books is mentioned in the text of an actual book, not the author quotes about books outside of a book.)

"And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles. So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries." -A Man without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut (Genre: Anthology of Essays)


You can also still participate in past Quotes Games:
Dreams
Heart

6 comments:

  1. "I love everything that's old; old friends,old times,old manners,old books,old wines."

    from She Stoops to Conquer, a play by Oliver Goldsmith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've had something to share that fit your theme. It's from The Liar's Club by Mary Karr, pg 125:

    "That winter Mother wouldn't have let a word about Grandma's dying ever pass her lips. She wouldn't get out of bed, seemingly hypnotized with whatever book she propped on her middle reading."

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the same book, pg 118:

    "I broke out the Encyclopedia Britannica and read aloud to her about squids the length of battleships and massive shark attacks on shipwrecked sailors during World War II."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quotes! Thank you for sharing them!

    Here's two more:
    "There are books of which the backs and covers are by far the best part." -Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

    "What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures or conversations?" Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally, I have one for you!

    "Most people would think I was missing something important in treating books as the kind of object you consume."

    From "The Child That Books Built: A Life In Reading" by Francis Spufford

    I totally relate to this quote as I view some books as "candy" some as "full course meals" some as "vegetables (good for me but I don't really want them). I've been picking through this book but knew it had a ton of quotes so I was like AHA! I can play the quote game!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenners- you make me laugh! I am so glad you could play this week! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!