February 8, 2009

On the Couch by Alisa Kwitney

BOOK #: 11
CHALLENGES: Genre Challenge, New Authors, Triple 999, A to Z Challenge, 9 in 2009
RATING: 3 Stars

Marlowe Riddle has finally met a sexy, intelligent man who is interested in making more than just polite conversation. The only problem is Joe Kain is an NYPD detective clearly under the mistaken impression that Marlowe is a call girl. But, Marlowe is actually a psychologist who is interested in adding spice to her dissertation on disguising identities. She decides to secretly gain information from Joe for her research. But Marlowe is not the only one trying to secretly gain information and it becomes increasingly unclear who is seducing whom.

This was a quick, light read that fell somewhere between your typical chick lit and your typical romance novel. This is not a book I would normally choose to read, but I found a lot to like about it. I was hooked after the first chapter, which was a brilliant first chapter, in my book. It was short, sweet, and left you longing to find out more. I also liked the alternating chapters between Marlowe and Joe. It gave you a look at what was going on in the other's head and the mystery surrounding both, and each individually. It also gave you a good glimpse into their misconceptions about each other, and also, their incredible perceptiveness of each other.

Interestingly, this book gave me some insights into the relationship between me and my ex-boyfriend and why it did not work. In hindsight, you often remember only the great parts and forget the incredible annoyances and the way you communicated on two different planes of existance, hardly ever to converge. I liked being in their heads. As a psychologist and a cop the characters each had their own unique way of reading between the lines, deciphering body language, and using silence to lead to another's confessions. Very clever.

If you are looking for a light read (without being fluffy) or a good relationship story that is not your typical 'damsel in distress' read, then I recommend this book.

1 comment:

  1. This one sounds good to me. I like the alternating back and forth between the characters. I might try this one for the Romance Reading Challenge.
    I like your honest review...very good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!