February 10, 2009

Introducing The Quote Game! Come Play!

Welcome to....The Quote Game!

This is going to be a fun new interactive weekly here at Lost in Books!

This is how the game works: Each week I will select a topic, sometimes easy and sometimes more challenging. This week, for example, I have chosen the topic: Heart. Once you know the topic, it is then your turn to find quotes from books, short stories, essays, and poems that pertain to the topic. They can contain the actual word or they can be a reference to the word, but your quote has to make sense out of context. For example, we have to be able to tell that your quote pertains to the topic whether it is about someone's heartache, a surgery on a heart or a child making a Valentine's day card with a red heart. Does that make sense?

Once you have found a quote, come back and post it here in the comments section, along with the work you found it in, the work's author and the genre of the work. There is no limit to the number of quotes you can submit, but try not to submit more than 5-6 in one comment (and only 1 quote is also acceptable). So, what if you find a quote about this week's topic in 2 weeks? You can come back and add another quote in a comment at any time.

To get you started, I will always post the first quote in my post. From there, let your books be your guides and, above all else, have fun! :)

"And finally I twist my heart round again, so that the bad is on the outside and the good is on the inside, and keep on trying to find a way of becoming what I would so like to be, and could be, if there weren't any other people living in the world. " -Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (Genre: Memoir)

11 comments:

  1. Pride & Prejudice:

    "Elizabeth's astonishment was beyond expression. She stared, coloured, doubted, and was silent. This he considered sufficient encouragement; and the avowal of all that he felt, and had long felt for her, immediately followed. He spoke well; but there were feelings besides those of the heart to be detailed; and he was not more eloquent on the subject of tenderness than of pride. His sense of her inferiority — of its being a degradation — of the family obstacles which judgement had always opposed to inclination, were dwelt on with a warmth which seemed due to the consequence he was wounding, but was very unlikely to recommend his suit."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I'll have to think about this and come back! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely Dead (Charlaine Harris) - Book 6 from the Sookie Stackhouse series

    "I'm sorry," I said. "If you want to let me go and get someone else, I'll understand." It broke my heart to say that, but in fairness to Sam, I had to.

    Sam shut the trailer door behind him and stepped out on the porch. He looked hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all let me say that I absolutely loveeee the blog! Look forward to watching all of your posts. Secondly, what a great idea for a game!! Here is my contribution:

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye." - The Little Prince. (One of my fav's!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful idea. One question: song lyrics? Yes or no? I don't have a specific one in mind, I just want to know whether to rule them out when I a-thinkin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From one of my all time favorite books, Jane Eyre.
    "Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilized by education: they grow there, firm as weeds among stones."

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Trail of Crumbs by Kim Sunee -
    "it's a terrible life . . .cheating the heart. Doesn't tempt me whatsoever. I had to make a decision: stay with Dominique because of Laure or leave, continue to love my daughter, and also love a woman" - he looks up at me - "the way I want to - wholly, fully. Not in hiding."

    And then for a different kind of heart - same book

    It's the heart of winter, so I'm dressed in black boots, black cashmere coat, wool pants, and a gray turtleneck sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Sincerely Yours by Rebecca Goings:

    "I want to hold on to you and never let you go. I want so badly to be in your heart, Danny, the way you are in mine. "

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Sincerely Yours by Rebecca Goings:

    "But there is one thing I can give you that will make you happy. One thing that will bring the light back into your eyes.
    My heart.It is yours, Kat."

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Coraline by Neil Gaiman:

    “She left us here,” said one of the voices. “She stole our hearts, and she stole our souls, and she took our lives away, and she left us here, and she forgot about us in the dark.”

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Great quotes Desert Rose! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!