February 19, 2009

BTT Post- Organizing Your Books

You can participate in Booking Through Thursday here.

This week's question is:
I recently got new bookshelves for my room, and I’m just loving them. Spent the afternoon putting up my books and sharing it on my blog . One of my friends asked a question and I thought it would be a great BTT question. So from Tina & myself, we’d like to know “How do you arrange your books on your shelves? Is it by author, by genre, or you just put it where it falls on?”

I don't really have any organization to my books, to be honest. While I do have the largest books on the bottom of the bookshelf and the smallest on the top shelf, this is mostly because the top shelf is very short and the bottom shelf is tall. :-)

The books on the other shelves are simply random. I can't go by color. If I put all the red books together, I will see them as one giant clump of red, instead of seeing individual titles. I don't have enough books by the same authors to file it by author. And I would never alphabetize them. I hate that at bookstores. I prefer it by subject, broken down.

When I go into a bookstore to simply browse, I very rarely have an author in mind. More than likely I have a genre in mind, something light or something educational or something classic, for example. If I go in to the store looking for a book on say fibromyalgia, but all of the health books are simply lumped together and then alphabetized by author, I have to look through every single health book in that store just to find books about fibromyalgia. Annoying!

So if I were to eventually have enough books to warrant good organization (right now I only have a couple hundred and can find any book I am looking for in less than 2 minutes), I would probably go by subject, or genre. It just makes the most sense to me.

How do you organize your books? Share in the comments, or if you did this BTT, leave your link in your comment so I can be sure to read about it.

2 comments:

  1. This is a fun question. I am much like you -- I tend to just organize by size. I'm more about the appearance on the shelf rather than order of the books. I don't have THAT many that I can't scan them easily! I'm not buried under 100s of books (yet) ... my husband made me get rid of my collection when we got married and ran out of room. I like to have a look that is pleasing to the eye because the bookcase is in the family room and we see it all the time.

    And I still don't have a dreams quote. I suspect I won't come through again this week. I just can't remember books in enough detail and I don't have time to just browse around in hopes of finding them. Maybe if I had 3 months notice I could pull this off! One day, one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca :) I organize by size...too many books, not enough shelves...lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!