February 5, 2009

Ain't Nothin' But a "G" Thang

All the cool bloggers are doing it. They're posting the meme from Trish at Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'? . So of course being the follower that I am, I signed up (actually, it's just this once, but it will be okay). Really I signed up because it just sounded like fun. So to play you leave a comment and then the blogger assigns you a letter and you post 10 things you love that begin with that letter. Trish assigned me the letter "G." Uh-oh. "G". Do I love anything that starts with "G"? Yikes!


The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books. I first read it in 11th grade English and I fell instantly in love. I remember hearing my peers say how boring it was and I was surprised because I liked it so much!

Giggling. Who doesn't love giggling to witty banter and silliness?

Grey's Anatomy is one of my favorite television shows. I'm a bit behind on it right now and need to catch up, though. I also like Heroes, Weeds, and Animal Planet.

Speaking of animals, I love Gorillas. And Chimpanzees. They are absolutely adorable and intelligent and powerful and hysterical all at the same time. I think that going to volunteer at the Jane Goodall Institute would be a dream. I think they are fascinating creatures.

I love the smell of freshly cut Grass. It reminds me of summer days in my childhood.

There are 2 foods I enjoy that start with "G"- Grapes and Sour Gummy Worms. The grapes need to be seedless and either purple grapes or white grapes. And if they are good and sweet, I can eat almost a whole bunch in one go. I first found sour gummy worms in the small grocery/snack shop at my university. Delish!

I love being Goofy. No, not dressing up like Goofy from Disney. I love the act of being goofy- silly, crazy, unconventional, random, fun. I love the freedom of being able to say goofy things in the comfort of friends and family. I love being able to joke around and be sarcastic and witty and silly and, god knows I'm one of the most random people you'll ever meet. But what is life if it is not lived with some fun and silliness? Life is too serious to always take it seriously.

Guys. I love their cologne, their strong arms, their freshly shaven faces (or goatees work as well), the way they kiss your forehead that just says "I adore you", the way they feel when you're curled up next to them on a chilly night, the many ways they try to impress you. Guys can be completely annoying sometimes, and, especially at my age, still immature, but there are a lot of great qualities about them that will eventually call me back out into the dating world once again.

Last, but not least, I love God. Now, I experience God differently than most people, at least most people I know and have heard about. Elizabeth Gilbert in Eat Pray Love (I know, I know) summed it up my thoughts on God so well that I literally (I'm not making this up) exclaimed out loud "That's it! That's exactly it!" So what did she say?

My dear friend once told me, "You don't want to go cherry-picking a religion." Which is a sentiment I completely respect except for the fact I totally disagree. I think you have every right to cherry-pick when it comes to moving your spirit and finding peace in God. I think you are free to search for any metaphor whatsoever which will take you across the worldly divide whenever you need to be transported or comforted...(She includes examples here of the Dalai Lama and Pope Pius XI saying much the same thing)...But doesn't that make sense? That the infinite should be, indeed...infinite? And that maybe if we could collect the pieces and compare them, a story about God would begin to emerge that resembles and includes everyone? Don't we each have the right to not stop seeking until we get as close to the source of wonder as possible? Even if it means coming to India and kissing trees in the moonlight for a while?"
So, in other words, I don't subscribe to the theory that there is only one pathway to God. I believe that it is not as important how you reach God, as that you do reach.

Whew...! That was challenging, but so fun! I am loving reading everyone's answers. Thanks for reading and playing along!

7 comments:

  1. I like The Great Gatsby, gorillas, the smell of cut grass, and God too. Fun meme. I just got assigned the letter E. I better go write it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good going getting G!!! Good answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this list of yours. Giggling? Love it! Freshly cut grass? Love it! Guys? Love them! You done good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super fun and Great G things!
    I love them all too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list! Love the quote from Eat Pray Love! I totally agree!

    It would be fun to volunteer with the Jane Goodall Institute.

    Goofy at Disney is my hubby's favorite character and I think he's just like him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the list love! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! Glad to read it!
    (Notice the use of Gs!)
    And my word verification is a g "word" too -- grophin.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!