January 24, 2009

Surfing Saturdays

Each Saturday morning, I list any links of interest I came across during the past week of surfing and give an update on my reading progress. Play along by visiting Literary Menagerie.

SURF'S UP:

~NY Times article on how Obama's love of reading has shaped his worldview and has set him apart from others, especially in the area of language.

~In case you had not heard, last week a British academic was sentenced to jail for two years after it was found he had been vandalizing antique books.

~And speaking of book crimes, a woman in Iowa was arrested and released on a $250 bond after not returning a library book worth $13.95. Let that sink in for a moment.

~And last, but not least, a thoughtful article on how the real tragedy of Poe, whose bicentennial was January 19th, is how poorly he is taught in school.

2 comments:

  1. I have to kind of laugh at the third one. I got my library card revoked when I was in high school, and supposedly my fines (which I paid) went into collection. Except for college, I haven't been back to the library since.

    Happy Weekend, Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had to pay bond for a library book?! I feel like that's a little excessive, but I guess I'll be more careful about bringing mine back on time!

    Thanks for playing along with Surfing Saturdays this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!