January 17, 2009

Surfing Saturdays

Each Saturday morning, I list any links of interest I came across during the past week of surfing and give an update on my reading progress. Play along by visiting Literary Menagerie.


SURF'S UP:
- You may be interested in SparkNotes' feature philosophy article on 5 philosophers who shocked the world. I don't normally visit SparkNotes, but found the link through looking up Nietzsche.

-I wanted to get your take on The Economist's Intelligent Life Opinion Article by Daniel Arizona entitled In Defense of Not Reading. Do leave me your comments, please.

-Slate's article on Who Checks the Spell-Checker? My thoughts exactly.

-"On November 28, the centenary of the legendary French anthropologist Claude Lévi-Strauss will be fêted in Paris. As a centenary celebration of a legend, however, it is rather unusual, as the birthday boy is very much alive and well. Lévi-Strauss made his name with such key texts as “Tristes Tropiques” (“A World on the Wane”) in 1955 and “La Pensée sauvage” (“The Savage Mind”) in 1962. These, together with his magisterial works in structural anthropology, have been collected in a new volume containing 2,128 pages of his best-known writings, in the prestigious reissue series of Gallimard Bibliothèque de la Pléiade, an honor rarely bestowed on the living." To read more, visit The Jewish Daily Forward.


MY WEEKLY READER REPORT:

Just what exactly have I been reading for the past seven days?

-I finished The Tall Stranger by Louis L'Amour, the terrific Artists' Journals & Sketchbooks by Lynne Perrella, and I also finished Angelina Jolie's Notes from My Travels .

-I read and reviewed the essay Conversations by Samuel Johnson.

-I read two short stories, The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry and Eva is Inside Her Cat by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

-I started a new book, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky, and twenty-five pages in I am already hooked.

-I have been reading extensively in Celebrate Life: New Attitudes for Living with Chronic Illness by Kathleen Lewis. It has been good for dealing with the changes in my own life, as well as dealing with those in my father's health.

-So far, The Sugar Solution by Sari Harrar is good note-taking material.

-I am trying hard to keep interested in The New Girls by Beth Gutcheon. It has very interesting parts and very slow parts. I suppose I am just not that interested in the minute details of boarding school life, at least as told from a narrator standpoint. I keep breaking it up with my other books so I can finish it. I don't think that's a great sign.

-Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert is a delight and I am savoring each morsel of it.


Don't forget to let me know what you think of the Daniel Arizona article. I am interested in all your opinions out there. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for playing along with Surfing Sat. this week! I just wanted to let you know that Mr. Linky is up and working again if you want to insert your link postmortem.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!