January 18, 2009

The Sunday Salon



Welcome to my very first Sunday Salon entry!

I have been reading other bloggers' Sunday Salon posts for weeks now and decided I just had to be a part of it. People around the world reading books at the same time and blogging about it- a shared experience that can enrich your already passion-filled hobby? Wow, how can I pass that up?? If you would also like to participate in the Sunday Salon, just click the icon above to learn how!

I did not get the time to read today that I thought I would. My father, who is dying of cancer, woke up and was alert for several hours this afternoon so I was at the hospital with him and my family. He had not been this alert in over a week, so that was a great surprise. He even managed to drink some broth and eat some Jell-O. He had not eaten that much in over two weeks. It was a good day for him and it was nice to hear his voice and see his smile!

So, I did not read as much today as I had planned, but I did get some reading done. This morning my mother and I had a little reading time together. I had given her the book This I Believe II from NPR's radio show of the same name. We read a couple of essays, which are all only about two to three pages. They are very inspiring and thought-provoking. We also listened to a seven-year-old boy on NPR's website read 30 of his own beliefs. You can listen to it here.

I also got in about 30 pages in Celebrate Life: New Attitudes for Living with Chronic Illness by Kathleen Lewis. I am 2/3 of the way through the book and I cannot wait to review it. I have learned a lot.

I read about a page and a half in The Brothers Karamazov before the nurse from the hospital called to say my father was awake. I am going to read some more in it before I go to bed tonight.

Since I am almost finished with Celebrate Life, I am thinking already about the next book I am going to start. I try to have a maximum of 5 books going at the same time, lest I get completely confused. How many books do you normally have going at once? How many is your limit to read at one time?

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you start posting your own Sunday Salon posts! Now I discovered your blog!

    I've read the first This I Believe but haven't read the second one yet.

    5 books at one time? I think you're amazing. I can have three going at one time but they have to be different genres!

    Vasilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am glad you found me! :D

    Oh, believe me, the five I read at once cannot be similar either or I would mix up details from book to book. I usually read 2 fiction books and 3 nonfiction, and never more than 3 fiction books at once. And they have to be dissimilar, like I said. The New Girls and The Brothers Karamazov are nothing alike and that's how I keep it straight!

    Thanks for stopping in and you are welcome all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you were able to enjoy some precious time with your dad today - and he could share with you the gift of his smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited my review got you interested in Made from Scratch! I see on your profile that you liked Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. Have you read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle about her year eating locally with her family? I thought it was fantastic. It was the first book of hers I'd read and now I must read more. I recently acquired The Poisonwood Bible, which is sitting on my shelf now, awaiting its turn.

    In answer to your question: I try to keep my number of books to two, unless I know I'll have a lot of time to read. If I try for more than two, one of them invariably slips off the radar and I have to start over with it another time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Animal, Vegetable, Miracle on my TBR list. I have heard good things about it. Oh, I do hope you like The Poisonwood Bible. It is one of the few books I have read more than once.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!