January 16, 2009

Booking Through Thursday



So, today’s question?
* What songs … either specific songs, or songs in general by a specific group or writer … have words that you love?
* Why?
* And … do the tunes that go with the fantastic lyrics live up to them?

This is my first Booking Through Thursday post and I am excited to join the ranks! :D I did not get a chance to post it yesterday so a day late, but hey, that's kind of my style anyway. ;)

This is a tough question. I love music as much as I do books. My taste in music is as eclectic as my taste in books, probably more so. There are literally hundreds of songs that I love the lyrics to. Narrowing it down to a select few is almost sac-religious to my inner Rolling Stone. But, I will do my best.

1. The Beatles are one of my favorite groups and the song Let It Be is one of my favorite songs of theirs.

"When all the broken hearted people
Living in the world agree
There will be an answer
Let it be
For though they may be parted there is
Still a chance that they will see
There will be an answer
Let it be"



2. Imagine by John Lennon is another favorite of mine. I am a dreamer myself, an idealist. Anyone who knows me for more than a couple of hours can tell it about me. It is just who I am. I dream of and work for a world of love, compassion, understanding, and acceptance of all people.

"Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world"


3. Natasha Bedingfield's song, Unwritten, has lyrics that I connect with as well. Particularly the ones below, which I feel on a daily basis as a woman with a chronic illness, A.D.D., and an ingrained rebellious spirit.

"I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines
We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way"


4. But my favorite song ever written is Life Uncommon by Jewel. Every word in this song speaks to me and is my absolute heart. I invite you to listen to this song if you haven't (it is from her album Spirit) and see what you think. Not only are the words beautiful, but so are the melody and Jewel's voice, which is so full of passion at one point in the song, I am overwhelmed every time I hear it.

"I've heard your anguish
I've heard your hearts cry out
We are tired, we are weary, but we aren't worn out
Set down your chains, until only faith remains
Set down your chains
And lend your voices only to sounds of freedom
No longer lend your strength to that
which you wish to be free from
Fill your lives with love and bravery
And we shall lead a life uncommon"

1 comment:

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!