January 6, 2009

BOOK REVIEW: Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi



RATING: Between Mmm...That's Good and So-So

I couldn't wait to read this book. It had been all over best sellers lists for months and I heard great things about it. The year is 1995 and Professor Nafisi invites seven of her best female students to attend a book study of Western literature in her home every week. The books were all officially banned by the government, so the women had to meet in secret. For two years, these eight women gathered to discuss these books and the opposing views between the social, cultural, and political views in the them, and the strict Islamic regime that was their own reality.

I thought the book was okay. I think that it would have been easier for me to follow if the pace had been upped a little. It read so slowly to me. The women were all interesting, each unique and captivating in their own ways. I also like the whole idea of a secret book club. Freedom of thought right there in the middle of a climate of suppression of new ideas. That is the best part of this book. I liked learning about the culture and about the different ways that each of the girls responded to both their culture and to the books they read and the ideas they contained.

It was definitely an interesting read. Not my favorite book, but one I think that everyone should read once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!