January 5, 2009

BOOK REVIEW: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

CHALLENGE: Book Awards Challenge, A to Z Challenge
RATING: 4.5/5 Stars

I haven't read such a page-turning memoir before. Walls opens with a bang and keeps you hanging on.

Walls writes the story of her upbringing by "eccentric, nomadic parents". The tales she recalls are told with a loving respect for her parents many adventures, as well as a slight contempt for all that she endured as a result of her parents' beliefs and lifestyle. As did I while I was reading it. I went back and forth between thoughts of "that's child abuse" and thoughts of "that is really interesting they did that". It gets difficult though the older she gets and the more reality sets in for her. It is a compelling read and I don't think that if you picked it up you would want to put it down either.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, Walls's family story draws you in. What was notable to me was, as you said, the love she shows for her parents, despite the things she's endured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It is truly amazing. How many times have I questioned my own parents soundness of mind and love for me when it was nothing like what Walls went through. It is an eye-opener.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that I went back and forth as well with my feelings. But mostly I was in shock. My jaw physically dropped when I read the bit about her mom asking for money to buy the land in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is an old review,but I just found your blog and have read the entire thing. I love your reviews.

    Now, the Glass Castle. I loved this memoir. It was told so well. I too had thoughts of, "child abuse!" and "Huh, that's kind of neat."

    Thank you for such a great blog.

    -Natalie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!