January 23, 2009

Friday Finds


Here are my four finds for this Friday!


Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips
This novel is credited as a witty and charming book about gods in the twenty-first century. "Life's hard for a Greek god in the twenty-first century: when nobody believes in you anymore, even your own family doesn't respect you, and you're stuck in North London with too many siblings and not enough hot water." Sounds interesting to me.


Note to Self by Andrea Buchanan
This is a collection of inspirational stories from thirty women (from Sheryl Crow to a 70-year-old HIV-positive grandmother) who reflect on their own stories of unexpected life experiences and redemption.


A Journal for Jordan by Dana Canedy
I saw this in People Magazine. A soldier who was sent to Iraq when his wife was pregnant wrote in a journal to his son while he was there. He did get to meet his son, but while he was still young the soldier was killed. His wife made this book for their son explaining their relationship and what his father was like and filled it with the journals his father wrote in Iraq. I read excerpts from the book in the magazine article and it was really moving.


Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell

I know everyone knows about this book already, but I am mentioning
it just the same. I like that it has a new twist on the
medical-mafia-crime-thriller genre. :)

4 comments:

  1. Great finds! I keep hearing all these good things about Beat the Reaper, but I haven't been able to read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must look out for the 'Note to Self' book ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like your blog's off to a great (and full) start!
    I read Gods Behaving... and enjoyed it, hope you do too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading "Gods Behaving Badly" now -- I won it in a blog giveaway -- and it is FANTASTIC! I am just loving it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!