January 4, 2009

A Colorful Reading Challenge

A Colorful Reading Challenge


This is one I made for myself. Of course, you are welcome to participate as well. Since Mr. Linky and HTML completely allude me, please just leave a comment with a link to where you keep track of your progress. :) Thanks.

The point of the challenge is to read 9 books with 9 different colors in the title. Six colors are required, while the last 3 can be your choice. Books may be overlapped with other challenges. At least 6 of the books should be new to you (doesn't matter which 6).

Since I have already determined myself to have this finished by December 2009, that is when the challenge will end, Dec. 31, 2009. You have to read them after January 1, 2009.

Here are my choices for the challenge (links to reviews listed below with other participants' reviews):

THE SIX COLORS REQUIRED:

1. BLUE: The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (June 2009- link below)

2. RED: The Thin Red Line by James Joyce

3. WHITE: The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

4. BLACK: Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster (October 2009- review coming)

5. SILVER: The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing by Alvord & Cohen Van Pelt (Apr. 2009- link below)

6. GOLD: Thousand Pieces of Gold by Ruthanne Lum McCunn


MY PERSONAL THREE OPTIONS:

7. ORANGE: A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (October 2009- link below)

8. GREEN: True Green Home: 100 Inspirational Ideas for Creating a Green Environment at Home by Kim McKay and Jenny Bonnin (September 2009- link below)

9. PURPLE: The Color Purple by Alice Walker (September 2009- review coming)


Links to Reviews by Participants in the Colorful Reading Challenge:

JANUARY REVIEWS:
1. Kristi- The Red Siren by M.L. Tyndall
2. Susan- Red Dress Walking by S.A. Jones

3. Kristi- Black Water by Joyce Carol Oates
4. Rose City- Black Cherry Blues by James Lee Burke

FEBRUARY REVIEWS:
5. Claire- Red Dog Red Dog by Patrick Lane

MARCH REVIEWS:
6. Kerri- Almost Green by James Glave
7. Kerri- A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam
8. Tracey- The Blue Flower by Penelope Fitzgerald
9. Tracey- Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faulks
10. Susan- Suzuki's Green Guide: Living an Eco-Friendly Lifestyle by David Suzuki

APRIL REVIEWS:
11. Rose- Towers of Gold by Fances Dinklespiel
12. Sandra- The Blue Fox by Sjon
13. Mardel- White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison (color black)
14. Mardel- Red by Jordan Summers
15. Rebecca (Me)- The Scalpel and the Silver Bear by Lori Arviso Alvord and Elizabeth Cohen Van Pelt

MAY REVIEWS:
16. Rose- Red Square by Martin Cruz Smith
17. Kerri- Silver Bay by JoJo Moyes
18. Kerri- Born on a Blue Day (A Memoir of Asperger's and an Extraordinary Mind) by Daniel Tammet

19. Mardel- Blue Diablo by Ann Aguirre
20. Claire- Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi
21. Tracey- The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
22. Tracey- The Red Book by Meaghan Delahunt

JUNE REVIEWS:
23. Mardel- Green Angel by Alice Hoffman
24. Rose City- A Yellow Raft in Blue Water by Michael Dorris
25. Rebecca (Me)- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
26. Kerri- Vision in White by Nora Roberts

JULY REVIEWS:
27. Mardel- Black and White by Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kittridge (for color white)

AUGUST REVIEWS:
28. J.G.- The Silver Donkey by Sonya Hartnett
29. Tracey- The Color Purple by Alice Walker
30. Rose City- Blue Planet in Green Shackles by Vaclav Klaus
31. J.G.- Joss and Gold by Shirley Geok-Lin Lim
32. J.G.- The Greenage Summer by Rumer Godden

SEPTEMBER REVIEWS:
33. J.G.- Red Rose Chain by Jeffrey Moore
34. J.G.- Winterton Blue by Trezza Azzopardi
35. Rebecca (Me)- True Green Home by Kim McKay and Jenny Bonnin
36. Kerri- Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden
37. Claire- Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
38. Mardel- Chrome Yellow by Aldous Huxley
39. Claire- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
40. Kerri- Yellowknife by Steve Zipp
41. Tracey- The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
42. Rebecca (me)- The Color Purple by Alice Walker

OCTOBER REVIEWS:
43. J.G.- The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
44. Rose City- The Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee Russo and Sheila Lukins
45. Kerri- Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
46. Claire- The Blackwater Lightship by Colm Toibin
47. Rebecca (me)- A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

48. J.G.- Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

49. Claire- The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima

NOVEMBER REVIEWS:

50. J.G.- Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

51. Rebecca (me)- Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster

52. Claire- The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

53. J.G.- The Black Prince by Iris Murdoch

54. Kerri- Red Dog Red Dog by Patrick Lane


DECEMBER REVIEWS

55. Rebecca (me)- Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

56. Tracey- A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam http://giraffeelizabeth.wordpress.com/2009/11/18/a-golden-age-tahmima-anam/

57. Tracey- The Silver Bear by Derek Haas http://giraffeelizabeth.wordpress.com/2009/12/04/the-silver-bear-derek-haas/

58. Rebecca (me)- White Fang by Jack London

59. Rebecca (me)- Thousand Pieces of Gold by Ruthanne Lum McCunn

60. Lynda- Frida Kahlo: The Artist in the Blue House (Adventures in Art) by Magdalena Holzhey (actually a review from June)

61. Lynda- The Golden Oriole by H.E. Bates http://lyndasbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/golden-oriole-by-he-bates.html

62. Sandra- Colorful Reading Challenge Wrap-Up http://freshinkbooks.blogspot.com/2009/03/colourful-reading-challenge.html

63. Rose City- American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham http://rosecityreader.blogspot.com/2009/12/review-of-day-american-lion.html

64. Rose City- Blue River by Ethan Canin http://rosecityreader.blogspot.com/2009/12/review-of-day-blue-river.html

65. YOUR POST!!!


PARTICIPANTS WHO HAVE FINISHED THE 2009 COLORFUL CHALLENGE:

J.G. of Hotch Pot Cafe

Kerri of Book Ends

Rebecca of Lost in Books

Lynda of Lynda's Book Blog

Rose City Reader

*NOTE: I don't know if this post is having a nervous breakdown or what, but for some reason it is not showing new links. I apologize for this and will fix it if/when I figure out what the problem is. Thanks for understanding!

72 comments:

  1. I love the idea of this one. I'll have to think about it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, so many challenges, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm joining you for this one:
    http://lyndasbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/colourful-reading-challenge.html
    Great idea ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lynda! I love the books you have selected as well. I can't wait to hear all about them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great challenge! I'll have to think about joining (I'm a bit overbooked right now), but it seems like a very fun challenge.
    / Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea! I'm sure I'll fail miserably, but I'm going to go for it anyway. My list is here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fun. I have my first three picked out. I want to read Ted Dekkers books. One is Black, then Red, then white. I'll have to go looking for the others. Thanks.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is different - sounds like fun - and I read a "red" book and a "black" book this month! My blog about the post is here: http://booksandneedlepoint.blogspot.com/2009/01/colorful-reading-challenge.html
    Review for The Red Siren is Here: http://booksandneedlepoint.blogspot.com/2009/01/red-siren-by-ml-tyndall-book-review.html
    Review for Black Water is here:
    http://booksandneedlepoint.blogspot.com/2009/01/black-water-by-joyce-carol-oates-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Count me in!

    My initial selection is listed here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sign me up! http://intergalacticbookworm.blogspot.com

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://californiameaghan.blogspot.com/2009/02/colorful-reading-challenge.html

    sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great challenge. I've just finished reading "Almost Green" (non-fiction). My post is at:

    http://ravndahl.blogspot.com/2009/03/review-almost-green-by-james-glave.html

    I'll have to look for a few more colours to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is official!

    http://ravndahl.blogspot.com/2009/03/colourful-reading-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in!
    http://stage3whome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm definietly joining. I just did an update on all my challenges and can fit this one in. I love the idea of this one. I'll roust up some titles and write a post and come back with a link as soon as I can. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My post with book choices is up here:

    http://freshinkbooks.blogspot.com/2009/03/colourful-reading-challenge.html

    So glad to see others joining you so soon. This should be fun. I'm off to see what others are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I try to avoid challenged, but this one intrigues me and I love that you are the one who made it up. I am going to see if I can find the books on my existing TBR shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the only challenge I'm doing in 2009!

    http://rosecityreader.blogspot.com/2009/03/chalenge-colorful-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rose City sent me over and I'm in. Here's my list:
    http://hotchpotcafe.blogspot.com/2009/03/colorful-reading-challenge-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just finished gold. My review is here:

    http://ravndahl.blogspot.com/2009/03/review-golden-age-by-tahmima-anam.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for hosting this interesting challenge. I would love to join you all and read some colorful books.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rebecca - thanks for stopping by my blog. It is so nice to hear some feedback. My pink book and black books have just arrived in the mail so hopefully I can get some more reviews up soon. I also updated my green and gold reviews - I thought it would be fun to add a paragraph on the significance of the colour to the book for the challenge. Just a little extra! (I'm also going to be looking for some quotes for next Tuesday).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm having fun with this challenge - thank you for hosting 0:)
    So far have read a blue and gray book - gray is not so exciting but the book Charlotte Gray was good - my page is here

    ReplyDelete
  24. I stopped by here to re-read the qualficatins and I am glad that I did! I was going to use what I call The Rainbow Fairy Tales books that I have under my A Fairy Tale challenge on the right side panel.
    I started this challenge and my other challenge Hobbits, Warrows, and Other Mytholgical Creatures challenge when I first joined A Novel Challenge, but I got np responses to either of them. If a fairy tale book has the requiered color in it, I will use it. I also posted somewhere on your blog thanking you for your kind words to a post I wrote. I signed up on your followers box. Judy/IB

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Rebecca. Thanks for hosting this! I'm joining up and have my list posted here. Just scroll to the end of the post to see it. I had so much fun conjuring up the list and excited to start! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I finished my GOLD book, Towers of Gold and my review is here.

    I also finished by BLACK book, Black Cherry Blues, which I didn't review in full but commented on here.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've finished my first book for the challenge and my thoughts on The Blue Fox by Sjon is here:

    http://freshinkbooks.blogspot.com/2009/04/thursday-tea_09.html

    Thank you R.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kerri mentioned this reading challenge so I've decided to take part. My post about it can be found here.

    Thanks

    ~ Popin

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, I'm very new to all of this. With this challenge, do we read the books and then post about the books? I can do this, not many people read my blog though, but this sounds fun. My blog is On My Mind Today, or What I'm Reading, { http://mardelwanda.livejournal.com } I'd definitely like to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well I almost finished Blue Diablo (my blue book for the challenge), but my puppy ATE a chunk out of five of the pages - of course pages that I haven't read yet. So I have to buy another copy - JUST to FINISH it. Crazy puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I finished my "red" book -- Red Square by Martin Cruz Smith. My review is here.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rebecca. Congratulations on finishing Silver. My review for Silver is here:

    http://ravndahl.blogspot.com/2009/05/review-silver-bay-by-jojo-moyes.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. Rebecca. Thanks for linking Silver. I've just finished Blue now that the Non-Fiction Five Challenge has started:) My review is here

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have finished Blue Diable - so I have three colors done! one problem though, I think I made a mistake when I contacted you about White Witch, Black Curse. I meant that book to work for the color black, as I'm planning to read White Fang for the color white. Will that be okay? Anyway, my review for Blue Diablo is up at my live journal blog (done while I was sleepy) and at my blogger site (a better review, more awake!) Let me know about White Witch, Black Curse please. If I have to, I'll find another "Black" book.

    Mardel

    ReplyDelete
  35. Kerri- Thanks! You're posted!

    Mardel- Oh gosh, not a problem at all. I will just change the color for you. I will go check out Blue Diablo and then post it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Rebecca.. I just finished yellow here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Rebecca,

    I just read a GREEN book, Green Angel by Alice Hoffman. Review is up on two sites,

    (http://mardel-rabidreader.blogspot.com/) and on Live Journal (http://mardelwanda.livejournal.com/)
    It's awonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  38. My YELLOW book was A Yellow Raft in Blue Water by Michael Dorris. Here is my review on Rose City Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Rebecca. I just finished my white book. The review is

    posted here!

    (Being a wedding book - I snagged a few flower quotes for Tuesday)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Rebecca (also my niece's name)

    Hope eveything is going well for you....

    I just finished Black and White, I decided to use that for the color white, instead of White Fang (which I haven't read yet).

    My review is here: http://mardel-rabidreader.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is a great idea!! Can I look back at what I read and see if I can "backfill" for this? If I have to start from scratch, I don't know if I'll make it. I do have "The Red Tent" coming up on my reading list ... and I did read "Bitter Is the New Black" so I'm partway there!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Jenners- Absolutely.

    As long as you have read it since January 1st of this year and have not read all of the books yet, then you can certainly enter Bitter Is the New Black and others. Yay! I love that you will do a challenge I created and I am doing one you created!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm finally (yay!) getting geared up on this challenge . . . . Here's my review of The Silver Donkey at Hotchpot Cafe.

    http://hotchpotcafe.blogspot.com/2009/08/colorful-reading-challenge-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Rebecca,

    I have just finished The Colour Purple and my review is here

    I see this is on your list as well. Hope you enjoy it 0:)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I finished my "green" book. My review is up today on Rose City Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Lots of reading lately, but not so much writing reviews. Trying to catch up now! Here's my review of Joss and Gold:

    http://hotchpotcafe.blogspot.com/2009/08/colorful-reading-challenge-review-joss.html

    ReplyDelete
  47. I've got a progress report posted today: http://rosecityreader.blogspot.com/2009/08/challenge-update-colorful-reading.html

    I love this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  48. This challenge is turning out to be great fun!

    Squeaking another review in for August . . . The Greengage Summer at
    http://hotchpotcafe.blogspot.com/2009/08/colorful-reading-challenge-review_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  49. Rounding the corner into September:
    Winterton Blue and Red-Rose Chain. Sorry for the blend, but they simply demanded to be reviewed together.

    Both are at
    http://hotchpotcafe.blogspot.com/2009/09/colorful-reading-challenge-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi Rebecca. I just finished Through Black Spruce. My review is posted here!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi Rebecca! I finished Agnes Grey, yay! My post is here.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi Rebecca. I read Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley for the alternate color yellow. my review is here:
    http://mardel-rabidreader.blogspot.com/2009/09/crome-yellow-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi again Rebecca! I'm on a roll. Finished The Bluest Eye, my post is here. I'll be getting more done next month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi Rebecca. Hope you had a good weekend.

    My review for Yellowknife is posted here!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi Rebecca - Here is my link to The Woman in Black. Short and spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Here is my link to The White Tiger, the most intriguing and original book I've read in quite a while.

    http://hotchpotcafe.blogspot.com/2009/10/colorful-reading-challenge-review-white.html

    ReplyDelete
  57. I finished my silver book. My review is up now on Rose City Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hi Rebecca. Hope you had a great trip to India. My review is posted here for Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi Rebecca! Finished my black book. My post is here. Hope to hear more of your trip to India.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hi Rebecca. My GOLD book is The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima, which I just posted here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. Here's my review on Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: http://hotchpotcafe.blogspot.com/2009/11/colorful-reading-challenge-review-half.html

    How's your reading coming? And how was your trip?

    ReplyDelete
  62. My purple book, Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, is here: http://hotchpotcafe.blogspot.com/2009/11/colorful-reading-challenge-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  63. Here's my last one! The Black Prince by Iris Murdoch is at http://hotchpotcafe.blogspot.com/2009/11/colorful-reading-challenge-review-black.html.

    I hardly ever finish anything early, so this might be first for me.

    Thanks so much for hosting, Rebecca! This one was great fun and introduced me to a lot of books I wouldn't have read otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hi Rebecca! My white book is The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, here. Is it okay to replace the silver with another colour (maybe pearl or sepia)? Our library doesn't have any silver books I'd like to read, and I've decided to only read from my tbr or the library for the rest of the year, no more book buying. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  65. Rebecca. Here is my last book for the challenge:

    Red Dog Red Dog by Patrick Lane.

    Thanks for hosting such a fun challenge. I'll be back to link to my Challenge Wrap-Up post in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Hi Rebecca,

    Here are my gold and silver reviews.
    I've found silver the hardest colour so far!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Rebecca. Thanks for hosting such a fun challenge. Here is my Challenge Wrap-Up.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Hi
    finished challenge today - wrap up post here:
    http://lyndasbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/colourful-reading-challenge-cpmpleted.html

    ReplyDelete
  69. I did not do well with this challenge but I've posted my wrap up:

    http://freshinkbooks.blogspot.com/2009/03/colourful-reading-challenge.html


    Three of those I read were top drawer reads in fiction. And I will try again this year as I still have quite a few books with 'colourful' titles. Glad to see so many joining in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  70. My "white" book is done and my review is posted on Rose City Reader now.

    Only one left to go by the end of the year and I am halfway through with it.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Down to the wire! But here is the review of Blue River, my "blue" choice: http://rosecityreader.blogspot.com/2009/12/review-of-day-blue-river.html

    DONE! Now I have finished the challenge. Thanks for hosting -- this was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Hi Rebecca. Thanks so much for hosting this challenge. I'm a bit late posting as have been away. The last book I read was Yellow by Janni Visman. My wrap up post is here.

    Happy new year!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!