January 6, 2009

BOOK REVIEW: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

CHALLENGE: Book Awards Challenge, A to Z Challenge
RATING: 5/5 Stars

Oh, how I loved this book!

Picoult took a controversial topic and turned it into a moving and contemplative novel that makes you think twice about both sides of the debate.

Kate has a rare form of leukemia. Her sister, Anna, was conceived and genetically engineered to be a perfect match for her dying sister. At 13, Anna has donated blood, platelets, bone marrow, and her umbilical cord to Kate as part of the plan of her family to keep Kate alive. As the story opens, Anna has hired a lawyer to represent her in a medical emancipation suit against her parents to have control over her own body. What follows are a series of flashbacks in the life of the Fitzgeralds as well as Anna's own confusion dealing with a hard situation. This is her sister that she is helping after all. But at what price? Is Kate worth more than Anna?

This was the first Picoult book I read (only one so far) and after I finished it I was so enamored with her style of writing and her risk-taking plots that I went out and got The Pact and Vanishing Acts, too. Oh, yes, they are part of my challenges. :) Picoult really makes you understand every viewpoint in the story- Anna's, Kate's, her mother's, her older brother Jesse's, the lawyer's viewpoint. I kept thinking to myself "What would I do if I were Anna?" I am sure I would have drawn the same conclusion and sued for medical emancipation. But I, too, would have wrestled with how much was too much to help my dying older sister. The book is a YA book, but I felt that its subject material was such that I did not even notice- it was not dumbed-down or given over to the conventional style of the typical YA book. And the unexpected plot twist is absolutely worth reading the book for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!