January 5, 2009

BOOK REVIEW - Enchantment: The Life of Audrey Hepburn by Donald Spoto

READ IN 2008
RATING: 4 Stars

Audrey Hepburn is one of my favorite actresses. She was elegant, affectionate, loving, and charismatic in her own right. Spoto's biography of Hepburn takes a look not only at her glamorous public life, but also deep into the life she kept as hidden as she could from the public: her choppy love affairs with co-stars, her childhood in Nazi occupied Holland, her work with UNICEF, and her experiences with marriage and motherhood.

I have seen reviews that this book did not show her in the most flattering light, but that is not the point of a biography. The point is to show the real side of someone, which this book does. And I still came away from it with as much endearing love for her as I ever had. She is shown to be human, but strong, and that is what made the book so great to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!