April 9, 2009

The 2009- 100+ Reading Challenge

Okay, so I have been super slack in getting this post up. In fact, I thought I had signed up for it and had not. Jeez. But late is better than never, right?

So this is the challenge of reading 100+ books in 2009. The challenge comes from J. Kaye. Here are the books I have read so far this year. I will put a star next to the ones that I did not review.

JANUARY
1. The Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
2. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
3. The Dark Side of Camelot by Seymour Hersh
4. The Tall Stranger by Louis L'Amour
5. Artists' Journal and Sketchbooks by Lynne Perrella
6. Notes from My Travels by Angelina Jolie
7. The Sugar Solution by Sari Harrar
8. Celebrate Life: New Attitudes for Living with Chronic Illness by Kathleen Lewis
9. The New Girls by Beth Gutcheon


FEBRUARY
10. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
11. On the Couch by Alisa Kwitney
12. Imagist Poetry: An Anthology
13. Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
14. The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

MARCH
15. Surviving Grief...and Learning to Live Again by Catherine M. Sanders*
16. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
17. Secret Daughter: A Mixed-Race Daughter and the Mother Who Gave Her Away by June Cross
18. My Antonia by Willa Cather
19. Behind the Lines: Powerful and Revealing American and Foreign War Letters and One Man's Search to Find Them by Andrew Carroll
20. Deeper Than Tears: Promises of Comfort and Hope
21. Princess Masako: Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne by Ben Hills
22. 1st to Die by James Patterson
23. 2nd Chance by James Patterson
24. Become a Person of Influence by Gordon MacFarlane
25. What is My Cat Thinking? The Essential Guide to Understanding Pet Behavior by Gwen Bailey*
26. Stuffed: An Insider's Look at Who's Really Making America Fat by Hank Cardello with Doug Garr


APRIL
27. How to Be Totally Miserable: A Self-Hinder Book by John Blytheway
28. Rubies in the Orchard by Lynne Resnick
29. Back When We Were Grownups by Anne Tyler
30. 100 Names of Mary: Stories & Prayers by Anthony F. Chiffalo
31. What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage
32. What Does Your Doctor Look Like Naked? by J. Warren Willey, II

MAY
33. Call Me Sonya Grey: A Young Girl's Poems about Death, Life, and Adolescence by Sonya Tupone Lloyd
34. The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing by Lori Arviso Alvord and Elizabeth Cohen Van Pelt
35. Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs
36. In the Heart of the World by Mother Teresa
37. Good Books Lately: The One-Stop Resource for Book Groups and Other Greedy Readers by Ellen Moore and Kira Stevens
38. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
39. I'm Fine with God...It's Christians I Can't Stand by Bruce Bickel and Stan Jantz
40. Shattered Reality by Kimberly Cheryl
41. Beloved by Toni Morrison
42. Finding Happiness: Monastic Steps to a Fulfilling Life by Abbot Christopher Jamison
43. Octopussy, Dry Kidney, & Blue Spots: Dirty Themes in 18-19c Japanese Poetry by Robin D. Gill
44. Coffee with the Buddha by Joan Oliver Duncan

JUNE
45. The Funny Thing Is... by Ellen DeGeneres
46. Simple Taoism: A Guide to Living a Balanced Life by C. Alexander and Annellen Simpkins
47. Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch
48. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
49. From Fatigued to Fantastic by Jacob Teitlebaum
50. Maximum Ride Series (Book 1): The Angel Experiment by James Patterson
51. Your Guide to Living Well with Fibromyalgia by The Arthritis Foundation
52. Poetry Book Review: Chief Modern Poets of England and America

JULY
53. A Worthy Legacy by Tomi Akinyanmi
54-56.
3 Mini-Reviews A Memoir of Jane Austen, Fibromyalgia for Dummies, & Love in the Time of Cholera
57.
The Rose That Grew From Concrete by Tupac Shakur
58.
The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver Book vs. Movie
59.The Attraction Distraction by Sonia M. Miller
60. Fire of Love by James McCaffrey
61. The Fibromyalgia Relief Book by Miryam Ehrlich Williamson
62.Cafe Tempest: Adventures on a Small Greek Island by Barbara Bonfigli

AUGUST
63.
Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD: Beyond Piles, Palms, & Post-Its by Terry Matlen
64. A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
65. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
66.The Lives of the Muses: Nine Women and the Artists They Inspired by Francine Prose
67. The Illustrated Guide to Massage & Aromatherapy
68. The Lie by Fredrica Wagman
69. A Passage to India by E.M. Forster


SEPTEMBER
70. True Green Home: 100 Inspirational Ideas for Creating a Green Environment at Home by Kim McKay and Jenny Bonnin
71. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

8 comments:

  1. Wanted to stop in and welcome you to the 100+ Reading Challenge. If you haven't already, feel free to join us at the Yahoo Groups where others are participating in this challenge as well as others.

    Also, the links to post your reviews are up in the right sidebar at J. Kaye’s Book Blog.

    P.S. I noticed BOOK IN A MONTH on your Shelfari shelf. How'd you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you two are amazing. I wish I had the speed to get through 100 books a year. Right now I'm pushing towards 50! Maybe I should start a 50 book reading challenge for snail readers like myself. Lol. = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigosh, Rebecca, you sure know how to make a girl feel guilty...LOL
    Amazing list...YOU are Amazing!

    I just received my Secret Daughter Book in the mail and did a thank you and shout out to you on my blog :) I'm so excited to start reading it!
    Thank You!
    Have a Perfect Weekend :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. J. Kaye- Thanks! I left a comment about Book in a Month on your blog. I will probably review it once I complete the challenge of a book!

    J.S. Peyton and Kelly- Remember, now, I am a slow reader, too. I just have more time on my hands these days, what with being currently unemployed and all! Don't feel too jealous! lol I do have some prospects for jobs so keep your fingers crossed for me!

    Kelly- I am so glad you got the book! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better late than never, right! And you are doing better than me ... I think I only have 17 books all year so far. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make it but we'll see.

    And I didn't know Angelina Jolie had a book out ... I'm going to have to check out your review.

    I like the diversity in what you read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer-
    Thanks, sweet lady. I try to read diverse kinds of books. I love challenging myself (obviously, right) and I have a wide variety of interests so I try to appease both of these things in me. Notes from y Travels was def one of my favorites this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I admire your accomplishments here!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!