January 20, 2009

100 Shots of Short- Stories 3-5



STORY #3- Outage by John Updike
DATE- January 20
RATING- So-So
QUOTE- “Me neither. Could I offer you a drink?” this woman asked, nervous herself. She added with another giggle, “Since you’ve gotten out.” She gestured toward her becalmed kitchen. “I can’t offer you coffee.”
“What have you been drinking?” Brad asked her.
Her eyes widened, as if to compensate for the lack of light. “How did you know it was anything? Some girlfriends and I finished off lunch with anisette.”
“In the car,” he answered her, “you smelled sweet,” and moved closer, as if to verify
.


STORY #4- Wakefield by Nathaniel Hawthorne
DATE- January 20
RATING- So-So (I try, but cannot find anything by Hawthorne that I enjoy reading.)
QUOTE-"With a cold but not depraved nor wandering heart, and a mind never feverish with riotous thoughts, nor perplexed with originality, who could have anticipated that our friend would entitle himself to a foremost place among the doers of eccentric deeds?"

STORY #5- Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe
DATE- January 20
RATING- Mmm...That's Good
QUOTE- "It was this unfathomable longing of the soul to vex itself - to offer violence to its own nature - to do wrong for the wrong's sake only - that urged me to continue and finally to consummate the injury I had inflicted upon the unoffending brute."

3 comments:

  1. Great idea, this blog.

    I did love Hawthorne in school. Hmm. I was an English major, and I loved early American.

    As for what you commented at synchronizing about the inauguration, I know what you mean about Cheney. But I have to say he looked like a cartoon of himself, reminded me of Mr. Potter in "It's a Wonderful Life."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am trying to read short stories from as many different authors as I can. It is a good way to dabble in a new author. I don't know why I can't get into Hawthorne. I guess not every author is for every reader, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!